UE 5 Crashing on Shader Compiling When Loading Project

So I am having an issue with UE5 just crashing when I try to load a blank project. The following is my crash report for the issue:

Some advice and guidance would be much appreciated as I don’t know what to do.

Hey @anonymous_user_072476f0! Welcome to the Forums!

A few questions to get things started:

• Was this project working before?
  • Have you updated your graphics drivers?
  • Are you using Unreal 5.0.3?
  • Can you add Editor Symbols for Debugging to your install so we can get a better idea of what is going wrong?

In the meantime, you can try deleting your config folder for a temporary fix, but all your configurations will be deleted like modifications to inputs etc.

Any additional information you can provide will be a big help in solving your problem!

1. This is a fresh project and has never worked
  2. My drivers are up to date
  3. Yes
  4. Done and started a NEW blank project. Same predictable result.
  5. My specs are Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB DDR4 3200 RAM, 1TB Gen4 NvMe M.2 SSD (OS), 2TB Gen3 NvMe SSD (storage), Geforce RTX 3090 FE, and Windows 11 Pro.

My system should have no problems with this program, and yet it’s crashing.

I tried UE4 and same problem. the rendering engine crashes the editor. I want to stress that I don’t have problems with other engines and I REALLY want to take advantage of the strengths that UE5 brings to the table over other engines.

Hey @anonymous_user_072476f0,

All signs point from the code that your DirectX drivers need to be updated or repaired, or that your install needs to be repaired so far. This could mean reinstalling UE5, however since you are also having the problem in UE4, it may be that your Visual Studios is not set up correctly.

Please check this set up guide to make sure no steps were missed during installation (note visual studio 2022 can be used for 5.0 as well):

I hope the above solution works for you!

1 Like

The issue turned out to be really unusual. Earlier this year the Nvidia drivers corrupted themselves on my PC so I had to do a reinstall. Little did I know that didn’t completely fix things. A little dll file by the name of nvwgf2umx was STILL corrupted and would crash literally anything utilizing real time lighting, including ray tracing…especially ray tracing. My solution was a COMPLETE wipe of the Nvidia display drivers, followed up with a reboot into the Windows default display driver. From there I performed a completely fresh and hot out of the oven install of the latest Geforce drivers. It honestly was more trouble than I wanted to go through, because it involved finally letting Windows have its way and installing an update (I hate updates), but I literally had no choice after having tried everything else. Hopefully this serves to help anyone having similar issues on a system with Nvidia hardware. Don’t trust their installer to not mess something up or fix a mess that their shoddy coding caused, always do a full uninstall and new install of updated drivers if you can manage it.

2 Likes