[UE 5.8] Game Animation Sample (GASP) - How to apply MetaHuman to Mover-based SandboxCharacter without crash?

Hello, I am trying to integrate a custom MetaHuman into the Game Animation Sample Project (GASP) in Unreal Engine 5.8.

In previous versions, I used to duplicate CBP_SandboxCharacter_Metahuman_Kellan, delete its Body parts/LODSync, and then paste my own MetaHuman components to make it work.

However, in UE 5.8, CBP_SandboxCharacter_Metahuman_Kellan is no longer available in the template. Instead, I was advised to use SandboxCharacter_Mover_Ragdoll.

The issue is that SandboxCharacter_Mover_Ragdoll only has a single Skeletal Mesh component (no separate Torso, Legs, Face, Feet components).

What I tried:

I added my MetaHuman’s Body (Torso, Legs, Face, Feet) and LODSync into SandboxCharacter_Mover_Ragdoll and tried to parent them to the main SkeletalMesh component. However, this causes an immediate Unreal Engine Crash and shuts down the editor.

Questions:

1. What is the proper workflow to apply a modular MetaHuman to the new Mover-based (SandboxCharacter_Mover_Ragdoll) character in UE 5.8?

2. How should the Construction Script / Set Leader Pose Component be configured to prevent the engine crash?

Any help or guide would be greatly appreciated!

I have not reproduced this exact UE 5.8 crash, but the safe setup is to keep the existing `SandboxCharacter_Mover_Ragdoll` SkeletalMesh as the single leader and make the modular parts followers.

- Add Body/Torso/Legs/Face/Feet as SkeletalMeshComponents attached to the actor/root (not parented to one another).

- For each follower, call `Set Leader Pose Component` with the original main Mesh as Leader. Keep it one-way: no self-reference or leader cycles, and do not use the LODSync component as a pose leader.

- Set the leader first, then the followers, after the components exist/are registered (Construction Script after creation or BeginPlay). Avoid recreating components on every Construction Script run.

- Verify every part has a valid, compatible skeletal mesh. Leader Pose does not retarget between different skeletons; if the MetaHuman parts use a different skeleton, use compatible retargeted assets or Copy Pose/Linked Anim Graph instead.

For isolating the crash, start from a duplicate, add one part and compile/reopen, then add the remaining parts and enable/configure LODSync last. A missing mesh, incompatible skeleton, or circular leader reference is worth checking first.

Thank you for the detailed response! I will try the method you suggested tomorrowヾ(๑╹◡╹)ノ"