UE 5.8.3 MetaHuman Auto Rigging Issue - Facial bones misplaced when fitting to tall head mesh

Hi everyone,

I’m currently trying to generate a facial skeletal mesh for a custom head mesh using MetaHuman Character’s ‘Create Joints Only Rig’ (Auto-Rig) feature.

Here is my workflow:

  1. Imported my character using Import → From Template → Replace to swap out the Body Mesh.

  2. Fitted the Head Mesh using the Mesh Fit tool.

    • Note: I cannot use Isolate Head From Body because it heavily distorts my custom body mesh during the fit process.

After setting this up, when I run Create Joints Only Rig, several facial bones end up sagging down or completely misaligned in the viewport.

Upon debugging the engine source code, I found that:

  • Surface joints (which follow the facial mesh vertices) have their positions properly corrected during the Mesh Fit process.

  • PCA-driven joints, however, do not receive these vertex deformation influences and take a different transformation path, failing to adjust to the modified head shape.

I wanted to ask:

  • Has this specific issue been reported before or logged in the tracker?

  • Has anyone found a solid workaround for this PCA joint offset when Isolate Head From Body is disabled?

Below are the options I used and the resulting auto-rig output.

[Options]

[After ‘Create Joints Only Rig’]

[Assembled Face Skeletal Mesh]