UE 5.4 not preserving player momentum on moving actors

Since 5.4 released there has been a bug in the default character physics.

I’m using a Character class for my player, which uses the CharacterMovement component. Prior to 5.4 (ie 5.3.2 or back) when a Character jumps on a moving actor (say a platform moving left and right) the pawn would jump vertically, while also preserving the lateral momentum of the platform.

To me, this is expected behavior from basic physics. However, in 5.4, using the exact same Character, CharacterMovement component, and moving actor platform, the result is the pawn jumping straight up as though it was standing still - preserving none of the momentum of the moving actor on which it was standing.

There was a previous thread discussing it but it was closed - I’m simply reopening the issue for 5.4.4 and forward since yesterdays update continues to not resolve the issue. It offered work arounds but I don’t consider them satisfactory answers to the issue - namely because of the engine’s previously built in default behavior being fully functional.
(UE5.4 Character movement not inheriting velocity when jumping off of moving object)

To be clear, I understand some may prefer this type of movement. In either case, blueprint exposed control on the CharacterMovement to manage how it handle’s momentum should be a requirement.

For me, my game is a movement oriented experience and the ability to reliably and predictably use and preserve momentum is key. Thus this one simple bug has locked me into 5.3.2 - despite really wanting to make use of some of the great new features of 5.4.

Note, I have submitted an official bug report to Epic about it this morning following 5.4.4’s release. I will keep this thread up to date as I learn more.

1 Like