UE 5.3 - Slow performance issue at start

Hi everyone, I recently installed the latest version of Unreal Engine 5.3, and encountered a significant performance problem when opening a new project. The entire software operates at a sluggish pace, to the extent that when I interact with elements in the user interface, it takes more than 2 seconds for any response to register.

Here’s what I’ve already checked in my attempts to resolve this issue:

1. Engine Scalability: Ensured the engine’s scalability settings were optimized.
  2. Shadow Map: Checked and adjusted shadow map settings.
  3. Drivers Update: Updated graphics and system drivers, both for games and the studio, trying both new and older versions.
  4. Windows Update: Ensured that my Windows operating system was up-to-date.
  5. Profile GPU Command: Executed the profile GPU command and found that no significant resources were being utilized in the new scene.
  6. GPU and RAM Usage: Monitored GPU and RAM usage and found that they were not being extensively utilized.
  7. Comparison with Unreal Engine 5.2 and 5.1: Created a new project in Unreal Engine 5.2 and encountered the same issue, whereas Unreal Engine 5.1 performs smoothly.
  8. Testing Old Projects: Opened an existing project created in Unreal Engine 5.1 within Unreal Engine 5.3, and surprisingly, no lag occurred. This suggests that the issue is not related to my PC’s specifications but rather seems to be inherent in the software itself.
  9. Tested a Blank Project: As an additional test, I created a new blank project in Unreal Engine 5.1 and then copied it to Unreal Engine 5.3. Unfortunately, the problem persisted.

I would appreciate any insights or suggestions from the community on how to fix this performance problem in Unreal Engine 5.3. The slowdown is so intense that I can’t imagine working in these conditions.

Thank you for your assistance!

PS: Here is my specs if asked
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core 3.40 GHz
96 Gb RAM
Win 10 Pro, version : 22H2
System build : 19045.3448

2 Likes

I solved my problem, not officially but functionally.

I opened the UE 5.1 project that did not experience any slowdown issues.
I cleaned it up to make it blank, zipped it, and copied it as my starting project.

This allows me to start projects in 5.3 from this project that I can copy as needed. However, at this stage, I still cannot create a project from the startup panel.

I suspect there may be a project setting causing this major issue. In the meantime, I’ve found a way to make progress that I hope will be sustainable.

I’m still waiting for your feedback if you have any suggestions because I would still like to understand what’s happening, especially for those who may find themselves in my situation.

I encounter exactly the same issue with UE 5.3 - Editor UI feels like its running on less than 10 FPS

It would’ve been great to see the issue properly investigated and resolved.

My specs:

• CPU - i7 12700H
  • GPU - RTX3060 6GB Laptop
  • RAM - 32 GB
  • SSD - Samsung PM9B1 1TB

I’ll happily provide more info / logs, but as I’m new to UE I’m not sure what to add right away.

2 Likes

FIXED !

After many days of research, countless attempts, I compared one functional project to the buggy startup project, and finally identified two parameters to change in order to permanently eliminate this issue!

To do this,

1. Create your project, and once it’s open, close it.

2. Navigate to the project folder and open the “.uproject” file in a text editor.

3. There will be two initial parameters to set to false instead of true below the Plugins line :

{
     	"Name": "OpenXR",
     	"Enabled": false,
     	"SupportedTargetPlatforms": [
     		"Win64",
     		"Linux",
     		"Android"
     	]
     },
     {
     	"Name": "VirtualScouting",
     	"Enabled": false,
     	"SupportedTargetPlatforms": [
     		"Win64",
     		"Linux"
     	]
     },

4. Save it and reopen your project in Unreal, and for me, there were no more issues!

Here is my uproject file if needed to copy exact same strings :
Initiation.uproject (2.1 KB)

1 Like

I solved the ue 5.3 very terrible fps problem with changing the settings; project settings / Platform / Windows / Targeted RHI (( DirectX 12 to DirectX 11)

1 Like

Edit: the workaround does not work for me. (I’ve tried disabling OpenXR plugin, just to see if its the source of issue)

Issue: Editor UI functions at around 15 fps (perceived).
3D view runs just fine at stable 60

Project: basic VR template from UE5 examples
Version: 5.3.0-27405482+++UE5+Release-5.3
Platform: Windows 10 (22H2) [10.0.19045.3448] (x86_64)

Thanks for sharing this workaround!
I will try it just to identify if the issue has the same source for me

Unfortunately thats hardly a solution when you want to develop VR/XR application - OpenXR plugin is exactly what is required

Thanks, this worked for me
SOLUTION: Edit → Project Settings → type RHI in search → switch to DirectX11 for Platforms → Windows

UI responsiveness is still not stellar, but noticably better

Although I have 0 idea why this worked - I though switching Target Platform settings should not affect Editor UI in any way

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.