UE 5.3.1/5.3.2 Crashes Extremely Often

I am having A LOT of issues with UE 5.3.1 Crashing VERY VERY Often. Iam wondering if it is just me or if the majority of users are still having a lot of issues with UE 5.3.1?

I now save all before compiling, which has helped very slightly. However, the editor crashes constantly throughout the day. I have noticed that it is almost guaranteed to crash if you have a variable inside a blueprint graph, and change the variables type, regardless if I hit cancel when the dialog warning box pops up.

The program crashes so often, I can’t even begin to start explaining the times, events and what i am doing when it happens. Previous versions of UE have been a pleasure to work in as previous versions were good at finding potential problems and halting code execution before crashing.

Another major issue I have come across in updating old projects i have been working on, is the use of Structs in/for variables. If the struct no longer exists, and something in blueprint graph, or variable in blueprint uses Struct that no longer exists, no matter what option i choose in the pop-up dialog warning box (either to remove the variables or cancel) the program crashes. I have an old project I am trying to update and contiue reworking the whole game, and this is basically bringing me to the point of for the most part, starting over from “scratch” (not exactly but close enough).

2 Likes

I’m using macOS M2 and Unreal Engine 5.3.1 for my first attempt at creating a VR project. Unfortunately, the project crashes every time I attempt to open it.

System Spec:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: Mac14,5
Model Number: Z17J0015ULL/A
Chip: Apple M2 Max
Total Number of Cores: 12 (8 performance and 4 efficiency)
Memory: 96 GB
System Firmware Version: 10151.1.1
OS Loader Version: 10151.1.1

Unreal Engine 5.3.1, VR Project Error Report:

LoginId:3b58c7b240411fabe6eedf91b9f4afaf
EpicAccountId:57e2029a7ca34647b0340ce9ebde2590

Caught signal

Unknown() Address = 0x18c63311c (filename not found) [in libsystem_kernel.dylib]
Unknown() Address = 0x18c57aa50 (filename not found) [in libsystem_c.dylib]
Unknown() Address = 0x18c579d6c (filename not found) [in libsystem_c.dylib]
Unknown() Address = 0x1968e65c4 (filename not found) [in Metal]
Unknown() Address = 0x1968c3548 (filename not found) [in Metal]
Unknown() Address = 0x1968b94a8 (filename not found) [in Metal]
Unknown() Address = 0x19684da04 (filename not found) [in Metal]
Unknown() Address = 0x1aad6e70c (filename not found) [in IOGPU]
Unknown() Address = 0x1aad6e618 (filename not found) [in IOGPU]
Unknown() Address = 0x1f654238c (filename not found) [in AGXMetalG14X]
Unknown() Address = 0x1f65424b8 (filename not found) [in AGXMetalG14X]
Unknown() Address = 0x1f65421ac (filename not found) [in AGXMetalG14X]
mtlpp::Texture::NewTextureView(mtlpp::PixelFormat, mtlpp::TextureType, ns::Range const&, ns::Range const&) Address = 0x2be6878e4 (filename not found) [in UnrealEditor-MetalRHI.dylib]
FMetalShaderResourceView::UpdateView() Address = 0x2be75a150 (filename not found) [in UnrealEditor-MetalRHI.dylib]
TRHILambdaCommand<FRHICommandListBase, FMetalShaderResourceView::FMetalShaderResourceView(FRHICommandListBase&, FRHIViewableResource*, FRHIViewDesc const&)::$_46>::ExecuteAndDestruct(FRHICommandListBase&, FRHICommandListDebugContext&) Address = 0x2be774e18 (filename not found) [in UnrealEditor-MetalRHI.dylib]
FRHICommandListBase::Execute(TRHIPipelineArray<IRHIComputeContext*>&, FRHICommandListBase::FPersistentState::FGPUStats*) Address = 0x1057ed75c (filename not found) [in UnrealEditor-RHI.dylib]
UE::Core::Private::Function::TFunctionRefCaller<FRHICommandListImmediate::ExecuteAndReset(bool)::$_69, void ()>::Call(void*) Address = 0x105872cd4 (filename not found) [in UnrealEditor-RHI.dylib]
TGraphTask<TFunctionGraphTaskImpl<void (), (ESubsequentsMode::Type)0>>::ExecuteTask(TArray<FBaseGraphTask*, TSizedDefaultAllocator<32>>&, ENamedThreads::Type, bool) Address = 0x10584fc54 (filename not found) [in UnrealEditor-RHI.dylib]
FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread(int, bool) Address = 0x10856f8b0 (filename not found) [in UnrealEditor-Core.dylib]
FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit(int) Address = 0x10856db94 (filename not found) [in UnrealEditor-Core.dylib]
FRHIThread::Run() Address = 0x10623f0e8 (filename not found) [in UnrealEditor-RenderCore.dylib]
FRunnableThreadPThread::Run() Address = 0x108720e6c (filename not found) [in UnrealEditor-Core.dylib]
FRunnableThreadPThread::_ThreadProc(void*) Address = 0x108681e70 (filename not found) [in UnrealEditor-Core.dylib]
Unknown() Address = 0x18c66b034 (filename not found) [in libsystem_pthread.dylib]
Unknown() Address = 0x18c665e3c (filename not found) [in libsystem_pthread.dylib]

I have even Saved All, Compiled, Saved All, Run Program, Saved All and then tried to move an asset window tab to reorder tabs and it crashes once in a while, not regularly or predictably. Next time happens I will try to post log.

I’m having the same problen. Even with a blank project.

Constant random editor crashes. Multiple a day even when I just have camera sitting there, I am away from computer and it just crashes with crash window and all.

This started to happen when I enabled Nanite and Virtual Shadow Maps in my project. So the crashes happen even in just basic levels where I was mass importing and setting up Quixel assets. Other than UDS sky no blueprints.

Exact same issue here. Blank project - crash, new project - crash, rebuilt and optimized projects - crash. It’s almost unusable anymore. I submitted a bug report weeks ago, still nothing as well as hundreds of crash reports a week, but no one seems to care.

Adding myself to chorus. Kind of making it impossible to get any work done. No idea what the issue is. Here’s the log if it helps anyone.

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION 0x0000067fcdcc5540

UnrealEditor_PropertyEditor
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

For me its usually this. I once had engine crash 3 times in a row withing 20 seconds after launch in a level with several basic objects. Pure quality.

[2023.10.22-17.41.53:824][707]LogWindows: Error: appError called: Assertion failed: Tasks.OcclusionCull.IsCompleted() [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\SceneVisibilityPrivate.h] [Line: 317]

2 Likes

A bit more info on mine. Seems to be happening much more often when doing stuff with data tables.

If I copy a item in a data table array value and then paste it in to another array multiple times quickly in a row I’ll get a crash.
It’s almost 100% for me anyway.

Sometimes I get that crash when a data table has been open for a while and then I choose to add data to an array in the table when it crashes immediately. Same crash log.

Same. Crashed in DataTable module.

Constant crashes on an empty project while playing around with materials, like I’ll go to change the color of a vector 3 or move a node and it’ll randomly crash. It’s not even doing much.

Same issue here. Mac Mini M1.

Just started a new blank project on UE5.3.1 and it basically crashes seemingly randomly every 20-30 Minutes. But usually it seems to happen when i change something, but it seems to not matter what. Could be deleting something from the level, could be a editing node in the Blueprint Editor or even just editing a string. I keep sending the error reports thouch.

My previous project on UE 5.2 basically never crashed even after 2 or more hours of work.

Sadly the new UE5.3.2 didn’t helped, just crashed again after about 20 Minutes.

(Also i am basically just prototyping at the moment, so there is basically no load on the system, just to rule that out)

I started the verify process but it is stuck on “Queued” for now…

+1 Happens to me quite often, same error message

So as a little Update, i completely removed all Unreal Versions i had installed and only installed UE5.3.2. This seemed to do the trick for the last 2 days, as, while i still had some crashes here and there, it seemed to work better.

However in the past 20 minutes i had 2 full crashes and 3 freezes, so bad i had to kill the Editor with the activity manager on Mac each time. And it is all so random.

Sometimes i just click a node in a BP, sometimes i just want to move the camera around, sometimes i want to copy something, sometimes i want to paste something… it is really fully random, and i can’t nail it down to one single reason.

And then it seems to work for a couple hours without any issue, despite not doing anything else…

I hope though the epic team is happy about my frequent error reports xD.

Yeah, was hoping 5.3.2 was going to help, but I still get random crashes and freezes. Like you said, its when anything changes, like, literally…anything with about the only exception moving the mouse.

1 Like

Getting freezes when saving a Niagara system in 5.3.2.

I froze up in 5.3.2 when I saved and at same time it autosaved, and I lost the data and it did not save.

Yap, UE5 is a pure bugfest, epic just don’t care, there are even bugs from UE4 and on top of that endless new bugs (no wonder when you see how they rush all the updates). Tried 5.3.x now for several weeks and got many crashes too (and yeah, there is not even a way to switch back to 5.3.1). For example when I save a material instance it crashes EVERY time, which means I can not really edit it at all. Tried the same project in UE4 and no problem with saving nor crashes. Since 5.0 I try to warn people to NOT switch to UE5 with production projects, but no one listens, because “yeah hype, new engine, new features”… You don’t want to hear it,but the best solution is to use UE4 or wait a few years until UE5 is ready.

2 Likes

I think its a tough spot, they are rushing things out but i prefer that as I stay on the edge of developments and it help a lot with pushing boundaries that I need available for development. They do need to focus on making it usable though, these common crashes are time consuming to develop in.

1 Like

Same. 5.3.2 freezes just importing fbx.