UE 5.1 gpu crashed or d3d device removed on AMD RX 6900 XT

I just tried installing the NON_WHQL 21.5.1 driver you recommended, but I’m getting a popup "The installed version of the AMD graphics driver has known issues. Please install either the latest or the recommended driver version." every single time I start up the editor. Do you know any way to disable this popup? Or are you just putting up with it?

If anyone happens to know a different stable AMD driver version that evades both the popup and random GPU crashing (full system lockups) on UE5.1.1, any information regarding this would be appreciated. Looks like a lot of people are having GPU related issues on DX12 UE5.

Edit: By the way, it’s been a couple weeks since I installed the driver and so far no crashes or system lockups! It’s worth trying for anyone having the same issue. I’ve confirmed at least 1 other person who was able to solve this issue by using the old driver version.

Edit 2: I posted a workaround here if you want to disable the popup about updating your drivers:

1 Like

This solved it for me, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I have exactly the same error with a AMD MSI RX 7900 XT that I just bought, I was using a 5700 XT before and it was working fine. I decided to upgrade and it is impossible to do anything with directx12, I am thinking about returning it and getting a Nvidia card since I see this has been here for a while and it has not been fixed at all. Also the driver version that is recommended here it does not have support for the 7000 series.

1 Like

i tried that and change to directX11 but when im using metahuman identity, the tracking markers need DirectX12, but when i activate directX12 crashes at the moment i open metahuman identity

Same here, can confirm it worked perfectly. Can load in just fine now into my project

This worked for me too, thanks a bunch!

It worked for me as well. Thanks a lot!

i have this problem too

In your project,

Edit > Project Settings
Find Platforms > Windows
And change from DX12 to DX11

Seems to fix it for me.

Same exact issue. Immediately when opening Metahuman Identity @BrunoE