UE 5.1.1 : Dataprep Crash

Hello Everyone,

I was trying to work with Dataprep,
but it crashes (UnrealEditor cease to work in TaskManager) “everytime”.

I click on the little +, on inputs,
choose my IFC,
import it,
and…

It crashes only when I try to import an “Huge” IFC (huge ? I have no idea. Nothing to compare to.)
And it’s not crashing with a simple IFC (like a House, 4 walls, 1 roof).

When it crashes, it’s always at 2% :
dataprep_import_crash

Hopefully someone can help,
have a nice day :wave:

1 Like
  1. If possible, can you share the file with us? Just reach out to me privately.
  2. Can you share the log file with us? The log file is in your project > Saved > Logs folder
  3. You could try to import in 5.2
  4. You could try to import a gain with a different IFC library in 5.1. Just change the CVAR ds.IFC.EnableNativeTranslator true
  1. I dont know if I am allowed to share the file (it’s for work); I will ask my boss;

2. Do you need all the files ? (there is 15 files)

3. I am downloading 5.2 right now

4. No idea if it’s related, but now I can’t find any of my IFC files when clicking the ‘+’

On another project,
I tested it (the same IFC, same process) and it worked, once.
Then, did it again, and same thing. “cease to work in TaskManager”…

The “ds.IFC.EnableNativeTranslator true”, is not related to the disappearing .ifc
BUT the IFC is not loaded when clicking on Import Button.

I do not need all the log files.
Just do an import with a crash and send me the latest log file.

Hi!

I have the same problem with technically ANY data exported from Archicad 24.
Data format does not make a difference, the same freeze happens all the time at 2-30%.

udatasmith/ifc/3dm etc…

With 3-4 geometries its fine for me as well.

Dataprep worked at the beginning, I managed to use it for material substitution with data table, and than it stopped working properly.

Now I can not bring data even from my older AC project files to any older or newly created Unreal Project file.

Tried UE 5.1, 5.2, and 5.03. Same phenomenon.

At the beginning at thought I need the wait long for the loading process so I did, but it does not do anything. UE editor freezes, windows tells me it does not answer.

I attached here a few of my last logs before the dataprep step.
From UE5.2, 5.1, 5.03 as well.

MyProject2.log (123.2 KB)
MyProject2.log (323.2 KB)
MyProject2.log (1.7 MB)
PB_TP_UE51.log (172.2 KB)
MyProject3.log (329.0 KB)

The last log (project3) comes from a test, where the datasmith file was exported from 3ds max (data origin was archicad 24 saved in FBX to max 2021). Same happened.

The phenomenon is always this:
1 Hit import button.
2 Model loads/appears in the dataprep 3d window.
3 Mesh card message show in the lower right corner, meanwhile window flashes in the center of the screen with the item’s names.
4 Mesh card message vanishes after a few sec / few %.
5 After a few more seconds, the flasing item window stop flashing as well, vanishes, Unreal not answers.

Cannot find any way out of this.

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks!
Botond

@preskabotond, @UE_FlavienP, @Dylan_XMas Have you found any solution to this? I’ve been fighting this issue for the last 6 months, my best solution is just to re-import repeatedly & eventually it’ll work. Always it freezes, never generates a crash log.

Disabling Mesh DIstance Fields resolves the issue but then obviously you won’t have any mesh distance fields which isn’t a solution for me!

I’ve previously discussed this with UE_kishman on discord but I’ve stopped hearing back from them, last I heard the relevant dev was on holidays in October, then the chunk of devs got let go from Epic!

Sorry I do not have a solution for this…

I did my “prep”-parts my self. Not optimal but at least it works.

Hopefully one of the others have a solution for you.
Have a great day (and happy new year) :wave: