UE 4.8 preview crashing on start up

BUG REPORT, UE 4.8 Preview 2 was crashing when building lights for my project as well as not building on the Android platform. Now Preview 3 crashes on start up with no error messages just a windows message that states the program crashed and will be shutdown.

Hi Hatchet02,

We’re going to need some more information from you before we can begin investigating your issue. Please have a look at this AnswerHub thread for a good template of what all we need. Specifically, head down to the very bottom for where to find your crash logs.

Thanks very much!

Hi ,

Thanks for the response, and yes after your response I read my report and can see it is far too vague so here is some supporting information.

The Branch is version 4.8 preview 3 Binary build from the Unreal Launcher.

Build version: 4.8.0-2554075+++depot+UE4-releases+4.8

at the time I filed the report the problem was that when I launch my project it will load up and everything looks good but a few seconds later a Windows Message will pop up stating "Unreal Engine has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Now subsequent loads, my project loads and the UE4 Crash Report pops up with the following report:

Unknown exception - code 00000001 (first/second chance not available)

"Fatal error: [File:D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-Releases+4.8\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\HAL\FileManagerGeneric.cpp] [Line: 605]
Invalid BufferCount=0 while reading …//…//…//…//…//.

KERNELBASE
UE4Editor_Core!FOutputDeviceWindowsError::Serialize() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsplatformoutputdevices.cpp:95]
UE4Editor_Core!FOutputDevice::Logf__VA() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:144]
UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:360]
UE4Editor_Core!FArchiveFileReaderGeneric::InternalPrecache() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\core\private\hal\filemanagergeneric.cpp:605]
UE4Editor_Core!FArchiveFileReaderGeneric::Serialize() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\core\private\hal\filemanagergeneric.cpp:644]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!operator<<() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\packagefilesummary.cpp:193]
UE4Editor_AssetRegistry!FPackageReader::OpenPackageFile() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\assetregistry\private\packagereader.cpp:37]
UE4Editor_AssetRegistry!FAssetDataGatherer::ReadAssetFile() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\assetregistry\private\assetdatagatherer.cpp:422]
UE4Editor_AssetRegistry!FAssetDataGatherer::Run() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\assetregistry\private\assetdatagatherer.cpp:186]
UE4Editor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:73]
UE4Editor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::GuardedRun() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:26]
kernel32
ntdll

My system specs are: Windows 8.1 (with all currents updates)
Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz
RAM: 24.0 GB
System Type: 64bit
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, 2GB GDDR5, memory speed 6Gbps, OpenGL 4.3
Hard Drives: SSD (for Operating System) Hard Disk (for Data)

This issue occurs 100% of the time, with my project which currently runs perfectly in version 4.7.6 full release. However, before I posted this reply I decided to open a sample project (RealisticRender) and had no issue. This may be specific to my project only but I decided to post the reply anyway just in case you can see the problem. If I can find some more time soon I will make a copy of my project and start removing some of my script to see if I can pinpoint the issue.

Thanks

Hi Hatchet02,

Thanks for that info! I was able to determine that your crash is a known issue. For reference, the JIRA entered for it is UE-13318, and it has been fixed and is slated at this time to be integrated in time for the 4.8 fix. It does appear to be project specific. Making a copy and checking to see what you can remove is definitely the recommended workaround at this time.

Thanks, and good luck!