UE 4.8 joystick support

Have not been able to find any answers about this.

Is there anyway to get joystick input in UE 4.8 ? USB joystick, not a game controller.

I found some plugins but all of them give me an error saying they were made for a different version of the engine.

I feel like i am missing something because this seems like a very simple feature that should be included with the engine.

I have found that a joystick is the only really usable form of input with the oculus rift, very frustrated not being able to find support in unreal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What version of the engine did you get that working on ? If push comes to shove I would use 4.7.6, but i tried to add this plugin to a 4.7.6 project and it says:

The following modules are missing or built with a different engine version:

UE4Editor-JoystickPlugin.dll

Would you like to rebuild them now?

when i click yes it says:

projectName could not be compiled. Try rebuilding them from source manually

For anyone interested, this is kind of a hacky work-around, but as The Britain stated, the problem is just that unreal wants xinput instead of directinput

I got joystick support working by using x360ce, available here: GitHub - x360ce/x360ce: Primary repository for the x360ce library, front-end and tools.

its basically an open source program meant to let off-brand gamepads emulate the brand-name xbox 360 controllers, but it does so by translating directinput to xinput.

This only works after you package the game to play in windows outside of the editor

1. Set up project input axis to use the gamepad thumbstick axes
  2. After packaging the game, you should have a folder named somethings like ‘WindowsNoEditor’
  3. After downloading x360ce (in the appropriate 32 or 64 bit version) configure the inputs of your joystick to match the gamepad inputs you set up in step 1 look for youtube video on configuring x360ce

you should now have 3 files:
x360ce_x64 application
xinput1_3.dll
x360ce configuration file

1. copy these 3 files into WindowsNoEditor>Engine>Binaries>Win64

Your joystick inputs should now work within your application.

This is by no means an ideal solution. I would really like to see native support from Epic.