UE 4.27 won't let me spawn my player character!

HELP!

For the past two days, I’ve felt like I’ve been boxing with UE 4.27. I’ve made a character blueprint for the player character, set its Game Mode under World Settings and under Project Settings. When I click on Play, the program instead spawns a character from a first-person view. This is not the same character as the one I clicked and dragged and there is no Player Start on the map, either. I feel like I’ve lost total control of my project, so I really do appreciate any help in fixing this problem.

Put a player start on your map.
Make sure that your Project Settings has the Default Pawn Class set to the character blueprint you created.

Tried it. When the program starts, it still spawns a different character from the player character that’s already on the map, even with the player character set as the Default Pawn Class.

I did some more fiddling with GameModeOverrides and Default Pawn Class, and the program still spawns a different player character from the one that’s set on the map.

Create a custom GameMode class and set the desired player class, then set the project or world game mode to it.

Like, make a child of an existing GameMode class? Or one separate from the one I have?

Yes, you need a custom GameMode class that inherits from GameMode (or whatever they call the default GameMode class). That’s necessary in order to choose a different player controller or player character.

Tried it. No effect on the player spawn.

After I made the needed changes, the program still spawns a different Player Spawn instead of the intended ThirdPersonCharacter.

Can you show us screenshots of the following:

1. Project Settings → Maps & Modes
  2. Your GameMode → Class Defaults (Details pane)

Also, from the top menu, when open the Blueprints drop-down menu, does it show that the GameMode is overridden in the “World Override” category?

Here are the three requested screenshots.

Thanks. You are hoping to get a player character of the class “ThirdPersonCharacter,” right?

Let’s try to figure out what is being spawned. When you press Play, look through the World Outliner and see whether there is a ThirdPersonCharacter in the world, and also whether there are any other characters in the world, and if so, what classes are they and were you expecting them?

The top-left image shows where the Player Start icon is on the first of five levels. On the left is the ThirdPersonCharacter that is supposed to be the playable character. But, when I click Play, a different playable character appears (indicated by the white circle on the bottom-right image), with the ThirdPersonCharacter as a mere static mesh.

Got it. This is how it is supposed to work.

You are not supposed to drag your player character into the level. Your player character gets spawned at runtime based on where you place the Player Start. You won’t see the character until you press play. So, delete the character on the left and just have the Player Start where you want the player character to appear.

I’ve removed the Player Start icon and clicked Play, and now this happens…

And I’m still not controlling the intended character.

Don’t remove the Player Start Icon. Just remove the character that you dragged into the level.

Okay, got that to work. Though the camera is a little jerky (I’m trying to make it work like a top-down camera). I made a character actor so I could reference it and its spring arm for certain sequences, like if I had to change a camera or if I needed to rotate the camera automatically.

Glad you got it working!

1 Like

Thanks, though what would be the best way to get the camera to not jerk while my player character moves?

Can you post a video of the jerkiness?