UE 4.25 Dedicated Server Steam Sessions Not Working

I have been working on a multiplayer game with a source build of UE4.25. Everything seems to work properly, but I have been stuck for weeks trying to get Steam Sessions to work on development builds.

I’m using the Advanced Sessions Blueprint, and I tested without Steam, and it works fine on my local network. PIE works fine as well. When I make a build using Steam as the OSS, my server build is able to generate a session and connect to the level properly (I can see this in the Log). My client is able to run, and I have a Steam overlay. However, when I click join session it does NOT work, and fails to even find a session. At one point, it seemed to join the session, but then disconnected with error “OutdatedClient”, which doesn’t make sense to me since I’m using the same editor to build the Server and Client (I also double checked that the Network Versions are the same).

I tested this on my local machine, and I also tested using 2 separate Steam accounts on 2 separate machines (for server/client), and I get the same error. I have double checked everything, from the .Build.cs files to the .ini files, and everything seems to be proper, but Steam just WILL NOT work with my dedicated server.

If somebody could help out with this issue or direct me to some resources that would be helpful, I have been searching for weeks. Thank you.

Hi can you please post your client and server logs because im curious to see if we are both having the same issue?

Many thanks
Sam

Hello, did you ever find a fix for this? We’re having a similar issue, only we’re stuck at the host server not appearing in the list to join.

Actually I think I may have found a fix. I packaged the server and client build as “Shipping”, then open up Steam and go to the Games menu and add “Non-Steam Game”. Add your client build, and it should show up in your Steam games list. Launch it from Steam, along with your server, and I was able to connect 2 different Steam accounts to the session.

1 Like

Hi, please see my reply to the most recent comment

Hey there, can you please explain this in more detail? What is “Non-Steam Game” ? Do you have an own AppId and from where are you hosting the server? Did you have to upload stuff on the steamworks site?

It means that he launched the project from his desktop steam app under his games library. Naming SPACEWARS I guess.

I believe he is referring to the GAMES tab in the Steam menu. There is a drop down that allows you to add games that you havent purchased on Steam by browsing to the EXE file of the game.