UE 4.11 to be dedicated to "speed and performance" optimization...

[=Maximum-Dev;427830]
While better performance is always welcome, I’d like to hear a “…Dedicated to real time G.I”.
[/]

LPV, DFGI (so slow in 4.9+ that it’s not really worth it right now though), VXGI, Landscape GI. For most purposes, we’re pretty much covered in that regard. Improvements would be great on that front though, there isn’t really a solution that just works yet. LPV only works on the sun so it’s useless for interiors, DFGI is unusable in current engine versions, VXGI is great but doesn’t run nearly as well as it needs to for older systems, and landscape GI again only works for exteriors.

Hopefully when they finish “speed and performance optimization” there will be the opportunity to work either on their own solution that actually supports point, directional, and spot lights, or work with Nvidia to make VXGI run faster (Like how Crytek managed to make SVOGI fast enough to actually start using in the CE 3.8 and forward). It’s really unfortunate that things have gone from fully dynamic with SVOGI all the way down to pretty much abandoning the concept as of late. Even diffuse lighting from reflection captures is broken, which could have been a tolerable alternative to tide things over with until hardware catches up to solutions like VXGI.

[= XaVIeR;427820]
They should focus on documentation for some 6 months instead.
[/]

If you think Unreal’s documentation is bad, take a look at Unity’s. It’s horrible, especially with scripting examples! I do agree Epic could make the documentation better, but as it stands it’s still much more in-depth than Unity’s ever has been.

[=Daniel.Wenograd;428668]
LPV, DFGI (so slow in 4.9+ that it’s not really worth it right now though), VXGI, Landscape GI. For most purposes, we’re pretty much covered in that regard. Improvements would be great on that front though, there isn’t really a solution that just works yet. LPV only works on the sun so it’s useless for interiors, DFGI is unusable in current engine versions, VXGI is great but doesn’t run nearly as well as it needs to for older systems, and landscape GI again only works for exteriors.

Hopefully when they finish “speed and performance optimization” there will be the opportunity to work either on their own solution that actually supports point, directional, and spot lights, or work with Nvidia to make VXGI run faster (Like how Crytek managed to make SVOGI fast enough to actually start using in the CE 3.8 and forward). It’s really unfortunate that things have gone from fully dynamic with SVOGI all the way down to pretty much abandoning the concept as of late. Even diffuse lighting from reflection captures is broken, which could have been a tolerable alternative to tide things over with until hardware catches up to solutions like VXGI.
[/]

do not forget AHR which would be universal and can be enjoyed by every GPU user not just Nvidia.

[=;428605]
In my experience, if you think UE4 has crashed just wait a little bit longer, it will probably come back.
[/]

You ever saw UE4 closing, crash reporter coming up telling you why it crashed, and it magically “came back”? :wink:

[=John Alcatraz;428891]
You ever saw UE4 closing, crash reporter coming up telling you why it crashed, and it magically “came back”? :wink:
[/]

I do, when clicked “Send and restart” :smiley:
Probably @ talks about long freezes, which can be confused with a crash. They appeared in 4.10 (at least in my case), sometimes without any reason (non-reproducible) whole editor freezes for 2/3 min, goes back to normal.

UDK Editor speed vs UE4 Editor speed

**IF we check the speed of UDK Editor vs UE4 Editor in about all the ways you work with, UDK is much faster, for exemple the material editor in UDK is near to real time manipolation, just like that, fast!!! and it reads the other work stuff faster too…

… I suggest to Re-check-out UDK Editor and brainstorm why that is!? and if possible Re-use some old method ways of doing things! if technacly possible!? or even better improve old methods into new concepts!!! :)**

[=;429777]
IF we check the speed of UDK Editor vs UE4 Editor in about all the ways you work with, UDK is much faster, for exemple the material editor in UDK is near to real time manipolation, just like that, fast!!! and it reads the other work stuff faster too…
[/]

I don’t think you can really compare them in that way as everything has been upgraded, UE4 was built to run on modern/latest gen hardware where as UDK was built to run on previous gen.

[]
… I suggest to Re-check-out UDK Editor and brainstorm why that is!? and if possible Re-use some old method ways of doing things! if technacly possible!? or even better improve old methods into new concepts!!! :slight_smile:
[/]

surely it would be because old techniques have been replaced with newer ones that require more processing power, I mean what your saying is kind of like if I were to say “well I played GTA3 and GTA4 the other day and GTA3 ran a lot faster so maybe GTA4 should be remade the same way GTA3 was so it runs faster” which would result in a worse GTA4(although it wasn’t great anyway IMO but you get my point:)).

A working reimport button for meshes would be great too, does that count as performance? xD

[=Steve_T;430162]
A working reimport button for meshes would be great too, does that count as performance? xD
[/]

Hm? Never got any sort of problems with that button

[= XaVIeR;427820]
They should focus on documentation for some 6 months instead.
[/]

Not instead, but after. :slight_smile: I for one welcome this direction with an open hands.

[=iniside;428638]
Beside that. There are people who make documentation and people who code.
[/]

Hire more people who make documentation? :wink:

[=YodamanJer;428761]
If you think Unreal’s documentation is bad, take a look at Unity’s. It’s horrible, especially with scripting examples! I do agree Epic could make the documentation better, but as it stands it’s still much more in-depth than Unity’s ever has been.
[/]

True. But they have a huge advantage in a sheer amount of community-made tutorials / guides / examples.

[=MarcinW;430378]

True. But they have a huge advantage in a sheer amount of community-made tutorials / guides / examples.
[/]

The problem is that most of the community made tutorials/guides are things that many of us could do on our own if we had the time, we still need documentation for some of the more advanced topics that seem to be ignored by Epic.

[=zeOrb;430208]
Hm? Never got any sort of problems with that button
[/]

Really??? When I click on a mesh in the content browser I have modified, I hit reimport but it never works. I have to delete it and import it back in as a new asset ( change all the settings). It works for textures for me though.

fbx import / export needs revision.
Its totally broken in 4.10. Importing complex skeletons (200-300 bones with animation) takes about 10x as long as with 4.9 and the import with loads of missing keys thus completely breaking animation. I already reported it and its filed as an official bug. I just hope it makes it into the 4.11 release.
At the same time, export from ue4 as fbx doesnt include scale channels. Not sure why that is but it would be cool to have an option at least to enable it manually. But this is not a biggie if the general importer gets fixed.

Bonus thought: Spring controllers probably wouldnt jitter on transform if the global performance was more optimized, so +1 on that.

Yup FBX importing tweaking would be nice.
_LOD fbx import option would be VERY nice

Really??? When I click on a mesh in the content browser I have modified, I hit reimport but it never works. I have to delete it and import it back in as a new asset ( change all the settings). It works for textures for me though.
[/]

I’ve had that before, there was a workaround but I don’t know if it still works though as I haven’t done it in a while, anyway what used to work was import as a new model and choose the replace/overwrite option when the message for having a file with the same name comes up, it used to update the mesh while keeping the settings but as I said I don’t know if it still works.

[/]

Just discovered that reimport removed collision mesh, but other than that - works good!

For whats missing in UE4 the gameplay abilities being ready for public use would be helpful. an example and documentation how to properly use it.

I am grateful for all the artwork made available and more is always welcomed, especially if some fancy vehicles were made.

[=;431418]
I’ve had that before, there was a workaround but I don’t know if it still works though as I haven’t done it in a while, anyway what used to work was import as a new model and choose the replace/overwrite option when the message for having a file with the same name comes up, it used to update the mesh while keeping the settings but as I said I don’t know if it still works.
[/]

[=zeOrb;431916]
Just discovered that reimport removed collision mesh, but other than that - works good!
[/]

I have just noticed now that it works fine using my main rig but when I try to reimport using my it doesn’t. Strange!

What is the approximate ETA for 4.11 and 4.12?

[=James2464;432925]
What is the approximate ETA for 4.11 and 4.12?
[/]

If nothing has changed we should get 4.11 preview this or next week