UE 4.10.4 Keeps Crashing

I’ve just installed UE4 on a computer in my school. I’ve only used it for one class, but it keeps crashing every 20 minutes or so!
As far as why this is happening, here’s a bunch of random facts about it that could give you some idea. It won’t connect to my account so I have to work offline, and as soon as I open the launcher it says ‘Project files not associated’. The reason it’s not connecting is probably the school’s filters… And when I click ‘fix now’ for the project files I get a window that says ‘error: could not update file associations’…

It took me a whole semester to get administrative approval and I finally just got our IT professional to type in a username and password so I could get this thing on here. Long story short, I don’t want to deal with them again and would really appreciate if there’s something I can do myself in order to stop these crashes from happening.
I’m fairly technologically literate (I’m a programmer), so that’s not an issue.
Pleeease help me out!!

Can you provide more information about when this crash occurs so that we can try to reproduce it on our end?

Also, please provide as many of the following as possible:

1. Your dxdiag (Windows Start Button>(search “dxdiag”)>Launch dxdiag>select “Save all information”>attach text file to your post.)
  2. If the Crash Reporter window is present when the crash occurs, select “Copy Callstack to the Clipboard,” and paste that information in a document and add to this post. Be sure to hit “Submit” on the Crash Reporter pop-up to send the Crash Report to Epic.
  3. “UE4.log” Located: Engine\Saved\Logs\
  4. “ProjectName.log” Located: ProjectName\Saved\Logs\

Providing this information and appropriate logs will help us track down and isolate the source of the bug as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Thanks for your cooperation,

This might not be related to your problem, but I had a similar crashing problem happens when I switch to some foreign input typing software and type in UE4.

Thank you very much. Here’s the first file:
link text

I’m going to mess with it until it crashes again so I can send you a report, but while I do, what are you asking me to provide in #3 and #4? What are those and where do I find them?
(Sorry if I sound like a nooby-noob. Thanks for the help)

Now I’ve found that whenever I hit ‘build’, it thinks a minute then immediately crashes. But not the same way. the other times it crashed it would give me the Crash Reported window. Now Windows just says ‘Unreal Stopped Working’ and closes it out.

If the crashes are project related, you will find a log named “UE4.log” Located on your computer in the installed directory:UE4.10\ Engine\Saved\Logs\UE4.log #4) This is located in My Documents\UnrealProjects[YourProject]\Saved\Logs[YourProject].log

Since this is crashing on Build, I suggest the following:

1. Close the editor
  2. Deleted the DerivedDataCache Folder (Located in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.10\Engine\DerivedDataCache)
  3. Restart the Editor (it will rebuild the DDC folder)
  4. Launch UE4.10 first -then open your project
  5. *You may have the project set to open automatically when opening UE4.10 in your project settings -This is OK if it opens and no longer crashes, otherwise you will need to deselect your project to open automatically and repeat steps 1 - 4 above.

Let me know if this resolves your issue.

Here’s the log. I’m doing the second half now.
UI_demo.log

It didn’t work. Here’s what I did:
I followed steps 1-3 exact. My project was gone after that (I don’t remember if I deleted it?) And so I made a new one. It said “compiling shaders” for a while in the bottom right corner and counted down from 3,100+… And when that was done I tried to build it and it crashed again.

I also didn’t have the ‘open automatically’ feature on… But now that I know that exists, how handy! I’ll use that! When this, you know, works… Haha.
Thank you for your help.
I can only work on this on odd-numbered days in my computer class so…

Just to clarify, you are not getting a “crash reporter” window anymore that you can copy and paste the callstack from? Instead, UE4 is crashing when you hit build? Have you tried building geometry only? If this is successful, we will know that it is crashing while building lighting.

Right; I’m not getting the crash report window anymore. At least not when it crashes on build… I haven’t continued working so it hasn’t shut off any other way yet.
Okay, I built everything but lighting and it worked. Even LOD and all… I was having a problem with exposure and hey, that helped! But like before, the lighting build makes it crash automatically.

Please follow these steps:

1. With your project open, open swarm agent as pictured below
  2. Click on Log tab
  3. Click Edit>Clear log
  4. Build lighting on project (Project expected to crash)
  5. Cut and paste all info generated in the Swarm Agent Log tab into a doc and post here (do not post a screen shot)

Access Swarm Agent:

Hi Mrs_Imagineer,

Since we have not heard back from you in a few days, we are closing this post as “resolved” for tracking purposes. However, if you are still experiencing crashing while building lighting, please respond with the posted crash information cut and pasted into a doc and we will use that info to try and determine the source of the crash.

Thanks,