UDK Licensing in 2022

Just curious. I know UDK currently unavailable due to included middleware (Speedtree, FaceFX etc) licensing, but i want to know: will i be sued for using UDK without using these tools? And if i still able to use it legally, there is another question: do i still need to pay 99$ if i want to use UDK commercially?

You can use it with no problem. If you want to release a commercial game with UDK, then you’ll need to contact Epic via Unreal Engine (UE5) licensing options - Unreal Engine If they don’t respond after a few days, then maybe we can put you in touch with someone.

I have to ask though… Why are you interested in UDK now? It’s very hard to find support for UDK, it won’t compile for modern consoles, and unless you have a very unusual use case, there are surely better options.

Just interesting to know how it was before UE4. It would be cool to get full UE3 though, but i don’t sure it even licenses now and even if it i’m just too poor to buy it.

udk was made several years ago when system requirements for computers were far lower. this means just about any computer released today is a top of the line udk development rig. meaning you can do far more and make very elaborate assets pushing udk to its limits. when doing this though the system requirements of your game will still play on even celeron integrated graphics at 640 x 480 resolution. if you enjoy designing games that make the most of old hardware udk is the way to go and great games have been developed using it. for example I think mass effect remastered does in fact use unreal engine 3 and thats a fantastic beautiful game.