"UBT ERROR: Failed to produce item" when trying to deploy on iOS Mobile Device

iMac
Unreal Engine 4.19
Built Unreal Engine from Source
MacOS High Sierra
Xcode 9.3
iPhone 6 with 16GB

When I use the Launch drop-down arrow from the editor to select the iPhone device, the editor compiles for at least an hour before spitting out the error. “UBT Error: Failed to produce item”

I have looked at this error in the forums: Cannot build project (UBT ERROR)

I have corrected the redirections in the Content Folder, disabled most plugins, but when I tried to delete the Binaries/Saved/Intermediate folders it fully disabled building the editor in Xcode, so there must be other folders the post is talking about?

The Certificate and Provisioning Profile is all Valid and ready to go. Just can’t seem to deploy the app onto the device. I thought about getting a different device and trying to build on that, like an iPad, but I think this might be a problem with the editor.

Here is a snippet of the log:

LogPlayLevel: ERROR: UBT ERROR: Failed to produce item: /Users/lee/Desktop/UnrealEngine-release/Engine/Binaries/IOS/UE4Game
LogPlayLevel: Total build time: 3548.08 seconds (Local executor: 0.00 seconds)
LogPlayLevel: Took 3549.749298s to run mono, ExitCode=5
LogPlayLevel: ERROR: Command failed (Result:5): /Users/lee/Desktop/UnrealEngine-release/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe UE4Game IOS Development -NoUBTMakefiles -remoteini="/Users/lee/Desktop/Unreal_Projects/SCTeamGSY" -skipdeploy -ini:Game:[/Script/UnrealEd.ProjectPackagingSettings]:BlueprintNativizationMethod=Disabled -noxge -nocreatestub -N
oHotReload -ignorejunk. See logfile for details: ‘UnrealBuildTool-2018.04.16-13.45.36.txt’
LogPlayLevel: (see /Users/lee/Library/Logs/Unreal Engine/LocalBuildLogs/UAT_Log.txt for full exception trace)
LogPlayLevel: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=5 (5)
LogPlayLevel: Completed Launch On Stage: Build Task, Time: 3562.273725
LogPlayLevel: RunUAT ERROR: AutomationTool was unable to run successfully.
PackagingResults: Error: Launch failed! Unknown Error

I was having the exact same problem, I recently moved to a new mac and downloaded the latest Xcode (9.3). I rolled back to Xcode 9.1 and that did the trick for me. I’ve found most of the time the latest version of anything never works…

Please provide LogPlayLevel: (see /Users/lee/Library/Logs/Unreal Engine/LocalBuildLogs/UAT_Log.txt for full exception trace) as that contains the full log with the FULL exception trace in order for people to see what is going wrong.

Hello everyone,

I’ve the same problem on windows plateform…

My logs :

InternalUtils.SafeFileExists: SafeFileExists J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe=True
CommandUtils.Run: Running: J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe BATTLESHIFT Win64 Development -Project=J:\BATTLESHIFT\BATTLESHIFT.uproject  J:\BATTLESHIFT\BATTLESHIFT.uproject -NoUBTMakefiles  -remoteini="J:\BATTLESHIFT" -skipdeploy -noxge -NoHotReload -ignorejunk
ProcessResult.StdOut:   Performing 4 actions (4 in parallel)
ProcessResult.StdOut:   UELinkerFixups.cpp
ProcessResult.StdOut:   Module.WmfMedia.cpp
ProcessResult.StdOut:   C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.14.26428\INCLUDE\vcruntime_new.h(67): error C4577: 'noexcept' utilis� sans mode de gestion d'exceptions sp�cifi�. L'arr�t en cas d'exception n'est pas garanti. Sp�cifiez /EHsc
ProcessResult.StdOut:   ERROR: UBT ERROR: Failed to produce item: J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Plugins\Media\WmfMedia\Binaries\Win64\BATTLESHIFT-WmfMedia.lib
ProcessResult.StdOut:   Total build time: 12,13 seconds (Local executor: 0,00 seconds)
CommandUtils.Run: Took 12,2923367s to run UnrealBuildTool.exe, ExitCode=5
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: ==============================================================================
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: ERROR: Command failed (Result:5): J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe BATTLESHIFT Win64 Development -Project=J:\BATTLESHIFT\BATTLESHIFT.uproject  J:\BATTLESHIFT\BATTLESHIFT.uproject -NoUBTMakefiles  -remoteini="J:\BATTLESHIFT" -skipdeploy -noxge -NoHotReload -ignorejunk. See logfile for details: 'UnrealBuildTool-2018.07.01-19.55.48.txt' 
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo:        (see J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Programs\AutomationTool\Saved\Logs\UAT_Log.txt for full exception trace)
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: 
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: CommandFailedException: Command failed (Result:5): J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe BATTLESHIFT Win64 Development -Project=J:\BATTLESHIFT\BATTLESHIFT.uproject  J:\BATTLESHIFT\BATTLESHIFT.uproject -NoUBTMakefiles  -remoteini="J:\BATTLESHIFT" -skipdeploy -noxge -NoHotReload -ignorejunk. See logfile for details: 'UnrealBuildTool-2018.07.01-19.55.48.txt' 
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo:    à AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunAndLog(String App, String CommandLine, String Logfile, Int32 MaxSuccessCode, String Input, ERunOptions Options, Dictionary`2 EnvVars, SpewFilterCallbackType SpewFilterCallback) dans J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\ProcessUtils.cs:ligne 923
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo:    à AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunAndLog(CommandEnvironment Env, String App, String CommandLine, String LogName, Int32 MaxSuccessCode, String Input, ERunOptions Options, Dictionary`2 EnvVars, SpewFilterCallbackType SpewFilterCallback) dans J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\ProcessUtils.cs:ligne 876
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo:    à AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunUBT(CommandEnvironment Env, String UBTExecutable, String CommandLine, String LogName, Dictionary`2 EnvVars) dans J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\UBTUtils.cs:ligne 52
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo:    à AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunUBT(CommandEnvironment Env, String UBTExecutable, FileReference Project, String Target, String Platform, String Config, String AdditionalArgs, String LogName, Dictionary`2 EnvVars) dans J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\UBTUtils.cs:ligne 90
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo:    à AutomationTool.UE4Build.BuildWithUBT(String TargetName, UnrealTargetPlatform TargetPlatform, String Config, FileReference UprojectPath, Boolean ForceMonolithic, Boolean ForceNonUnity, Boolean ForceDebugInfo, Boolean ForceFlushMac, Boolean DisableXGE, String InAddArgs, Boolean ForceUnity, Dictionary`2 EnvVars) dans J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\UE4Build.cs:ligne 369
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo:    à AutomationTool.UE4Build.Build(BuildAgenda Agenda, Nullable`1 InDeleteBuildProducts, Boolean InUpdateVersionFiles, Boolean InForceNoXGE, Boolean InUseParallelExecutor, Boolean InForceNonUnity, Boolean InForceUnity, Boolean InShowProgress, Dictionary`2 PlatformEnvVars, Nullable`1 InChangelistNumberOverride, Dictionary`2 InTargetToManifest) dans J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\UE4Build.cs:ligne 1505
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo:    à Project.Build(BuildCommand Command, ProjectParams Params, Int32 WorkingCL, ProjectBuildTargets TargetMask) dans J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Scripts\BuildProjectCommand.Automation.cs:ligne 177
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo:    à BuildCookRun.DoBuildCookRun(ProjectParams Params) dans J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Scripts\BuildCookRun.Automation.cs:ligne 208
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo:    à BuildCookRun.ExecuteBuild() dans J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Scripts\BuildCookRun.Automation.cs:ligne 41
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo:    à AutomationTool.BuildCommand.Execute() dans J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\BuildCommand.cs:ligne 100
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo:    à AutomationTool.Automation.Execute(List`1 CommandsToExecute, Dictionary`2 Commands) dans J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\Automation.cs:ligne 557
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo:    à AutomationTool.Automation.Process(String] Arguments) dans J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\Automation.cs:ligne 527
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo:    à AutomationTool.Program.MainProc(Object Param) dans J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Program.cs:ligne 132
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo:    à AutomationTool.InternalUtils.RunSingleInstance(Func`2 Main, Object Param) dans J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\Utils.cs:ligne 712
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo:    à AutomationTool.Program.Main() dans J:\UnrealEngine-4.19\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Program.cs:ligne 62
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: ==============================================================================
Program.Main: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=5 (5)

Thanks.