U-Racer (Working Title)

Do you have a tool that helps or generated the mesh or do you handcraft the whole track using a editor?

Good job! Thanks for sharing the idea and blueprints, funny to know some minds have the same ideas.

The tool is called 3D Studio Max :stuck_out_tongue:
Everything is hand-crafted, no automatic generation of anything here.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like a lot of work. Good luck.

That project looks so good , looking forward to seeing more progress .

Well, as it comes to terrain I’m using a technique I’ve developed some time ago. I’m using procedural 3D textures to create displacement, controll it through vertex colors on the meshes. It’s pretty fast for creating simple terrains, cliffs, rocks and such.

e8a2d2e977632c7cb6d305d5f0074777c0dd1bce.jpeg

Been able to create THIS:

… in Unreal Engine 1. Yep, It is the good old Unreal.

Another example:

->

I thought about making a tutorial for that technique but… Not just yet, gotta have my secrets, ey?

And for the U-Racer update - Serferon Space - a map which probably will end up in the demo version. This is a simple environment test.

Still not perfect but this was fast. Really fast, texture rendering took most of the time :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Z-Enzyme, I’d like to build a race game like wipeout (like your game also), I watch your setup and leave a message on you video in youtube . One more time, it’s a realy nice work man . It is possible that you to send me your ship blue print or a video of the blueprint plase ? I realy like to finish my own ship :smiley: Thanks by advance !

I always wanted an engine to be able to project 3D fractal textures onto a world, particles or anything at all. Then I got UE4.

=0ik4n1iz6qY

After just 30 minutes I managed to create pseudo volumetric cloud. Man, I love that engine XD

this is looking quite promising already, some of those environments are really coming together, I really like those volumetrics, D: i have got to play around with that!

have you got any plans for gameplay beyond just racing? is it going to be pure uber-micro low friction racing (a la wipeout)? or considering having a dash of combat centric mechanics like rollcage?

watched a few videos, including your old ship texture customizer, you could do something amazing in UE4 utilizing masks and layered materials, along with all the driveable parameters, looking forward to seeing that!

keep it up :slight_smile:

Yea, actually I thought about weapons and defensive mechanics as well with the environment as other vechicles and also about pure destruction derby with no weapons. The painting system, well, I’ve never thought about it, there’s no such thing as “ScriptedTexture” in UE4 - or yet havent come across it - but if I manage to find a way to do that I certainly will. Right now I’m trying to figure out any way to create tracks differently then prebaked static meshes thus the slowdown. Seems nothing works with the physics collisions as I suspected it would. Well, I’ll figure it out some day. Probably will move to no-physics based vechicles as it is more likely to work online. Well, we will see.

ScriptedTextures exist in UE4 and are more or less exactly the same as in UE3. Since there’s no Unrealscript, there’s no wrapper for them, they exist in native code as render targets that you can draw to with canvas.

Wow, this is really cool, looks very nice.

Care to make a tutorial or just give some pointers?

Great effect, I would love to know a little more about your particle and material set up for this. Looks like you have an alpha mask for each particle sprite, and then you are adding/multing that with a moving 3d noise texture? I’d love to know how you make the particles look up their position in the 3d noise…:slight_smile: If that is in fact what you are doing of course

Hi there! Amazing work you have been doing here! I’m very interested in how you managed to translate this in to GimbalLock free rotation. Really its the GimbalLock free part I’m more interested in. I have a hovering ship inside a giant dome but it messes up at 90degreas still. Anything you can point me towards that will help?

Cheers