Typical roles in Game Creating

Hi, i would like to know what all the roles are in the Game Creation Process

All i know of are
Level Designer(The Guy who makes the levels for the game)
Programmer(The Guy who makes the actual code the game will use)
Artist(The Guy that does the art for the game)
Musician(The Guy who does the music and sounds for the game)
Animatior(The guy who does the in-game Animations)
Voice-Actor(The Guy/s who voice the character/s)
Modeler(The Guy that does the models for the things in the game)

also Does the Executive Producer mean that they “create” the idea of the game and ensure it’s brought to life.

You can be safe to add someone for marketing, and a legal expert(Though legal experts usually come later in the development process).

Tech Artist (The guy who bridges the gap between programmers and artists, makes tools for artists, helps create better workflows, works on the more technical side of art related content)

Set dressers. Not sure if this is a “permanent” role or a role undertaken by someone from any team. There the guys that place all those plates and cups around people’s huts in Skyrim, for example :slight_smile:

set dresser? You mean a map maker really, also add animator. But also depends on what type of game is being made to what list of ‘roles’ are required. You don’t need a producer unless you are dealing with allot of people that need to be coordinated (same as a manager really). Usually on a small teams the guy who is in charge usually fills one of the other roles.

Actually, the way I heard it (and wish I could find the source), the map’s done. It’s literally the job of placing items. I suppose one could argue that’s still under the remit of “map making”, but the person who mentioned it specifically called it “set-dressing”.

Sounds like kind of a fun job, actually… Perhaps for the first 50 houses.

Yup that’s just a map maker, they will take it from block out to finalised lighting and polish. They will also interact with the programmers to get additions/scripts they can use and also the 3d artists to get the props/meshes they require. Again in smaller teams, there is allot of cross over so it does depend on team size.

You should also have a dedicated tech person for maintenance, also known as “computer guy” :smiley:
This guy would come into action if lets say a harddrive failes and needs to be replaced and software to be reinstalled.
Or maintaining the servers and the network.
Ok, you could say that the (other) team members could/would do that themselves. But then they would lose time better invested in making the game.
So while the team is in a meeting, the tech guy could replace that faulty RAM module here and and fix an OS issue there…
Or you just point at all the office PCs and say “Well, make Perforce work…” :slight_smile: