Two or more textures upon one character

Hi. It is allowed to have a mesh with two different sets of textures upon?
I mean: I have a player, whose whole body except of the torso has a one uv map which shares just one set of textures (normal, diffuse, and specular, and whatever other else), whilst the torso has its own uv map and takes its own set of textures from other jpgs (this means also that I have to normal map, paint and build other textures separately).
Or should I keep just one unique uv map for the whole body and thereupon we assign different textures just for the torso? (how?)
Sorry for the eventually “noob” question, but it is my prime question and I’m just learning right now from scratch, and I didn’t know what and how to search. An answer is appreciated also in order to avoid to proceed in one way rather than another, sparing time. Thanks.

Apply different materials to parts of your mesh in your 3d program (how you do it depends on the software you use), then when you import the mesh it should have multiple material slots, then you just set different materials with different textures to these slots in UE4.

Usually you want to avoid using multiple materials on a single mesh, since that increases draw calls. For a character though that probably means you won’t get enough detail in the material. It’s very normal to have multiple meshes for a character, so the body might be one material and the head might be another (since the head needs lots of detail).

By the way, while you can use multiple UV channels, UE4 is not set up to render normal maps correctly on any other UV channel except for the first channel so keep that in mind if you want to use multiple UV channels. Sometimes you might want to have another UV channel so that you can map things differently for some effect.

Does it still increase draw calls if multiple material instances with the same parent are used?

Ok, thanks. I was aware of the drawcalls which affects the nonstatic meshes in engines, but I had the need to be ensured about how UE works.
The character was a football player, so I have the need to swap textures for the shirt and trunk.
So, let’s recap, if I understood well: I make the puppet a unique and weld mesh, then I map its body (less torso “shirt” and hip “trunk”) into a uv map (which will have its own normal/diffuse/specular maps), and I make the same thing for torso and hip: then, when I import the mesh into UE, I wust have just to swap the maps for shirt and trunk. Right?

Ok, thanks. I was aware of the drawcalls which affects the nonstatic meshes in engines, but I had the need to be ensured about how UE works.
The character was a football player, so I have the need to swap textures for the shirt and trunk.
So, let’s recap, if I understood well: I make the puppet a unique mesh, then I map its body (less torso “shirt” and hip “trunk”) into a uv map (which will have its own normal/diffuse/specular maps), and I make the same thing for torso and hip: then, when I import the mesh into UE, I wust have to swap the maps for shirt and trunk. Right?

I would think yes, even if it’s an instance but I’m not sure.

I would do a mesh with its own material for the head, a mesh for the torso, and a mesh for the legs, and then you would switch out the materials for those. I’m not sure how they do it in the football games, performance might not be an issue with all of the players having different torso materials and head materials, or they might figure out a way to create a single material that they could then change the jersey number/colors/logos for.

Thats how I did it in one of my projects. Having a single mask texture for all jersey parts, and all the numbers in a flipbook and then lerped over that… :slight_smile: