Twinmotion to UE5.1.1 = missing textures when packaging to android Oculus Quest 2 (log: was never saved as an export)

Unreal ENgine 5.1.1 shows imported twinmotion model just fine in the editor. the textures also appear fine in the editor.

but once packaged into android for oculus quest 2, the textures are missing. replaced with checkerboards.

the log says warnings about texture

UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)): LogInit: Display: LogSavePackage: Warning: /Game/DSTM/mirtestblank/Materials/Emissive_Black imported Serialize:/TwinmotionToUnrealContent/Twinmotion/Materials/StdOpaque/M_StdOpaque.M_StdOpaque, but it was never saved as an export.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Save Twinmotion project
  2. Setup UE5.1.1 VR game project with meta quest plugin and both twinmotion plugins
  3. import twinmotion project file into UE 5.1.1
  4. packacge it to android and install to meta quest 2
  5. the textures are replaced with checkerboard in meta quest 2

The exact same issue even with the new twinmotion plugin that only needs 1 plugin (the one that's only a few hundred MBs). Remember to never install 2 old (this and this) and 1 new (this) twinmotion plugin at the same time.

EDIT

for context, this bug has been happening since unreal 4.xx

https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/material-not-visible-because-it-was-saved-without-engine-version-imported-but-it-was-never-saved-as-an-export/497923

@Vincent Boutaud​ this issue has been plaguing Twinmotion -> UE -> Oculus Quest for years. and AFAIK the posts about the same issue in UE forum did not get any reply from Epic.

they are full with people not finding solutions and/or giving up.

If Twinmotion -> UE -> Oculus Quest feature works properly, (or even better if Twinmotion can directly deploy android APK for Oculus Quest) it will be a huge boon for archviz and education. as it would substantially reduce the skill barrier to make a standalone oculus quest vr experience.

, any idea why the case number for this issue 00549339 has been closed?

in "my case" dashboard, 3 days ago, i have replied to @Nina LS​ with this information:

Hi, the exact same issue still happen (textures looks fine in UE editor, became checkerboards in Oculus Quest 2)

What i have done

1. I've updated the unreal engine twinmotion content plugin (version 2023.1), and twinmotion to 2023.1 (without preview suffix).
  2. ive started a whole new twinmotion project using the worktable template (same issue when i added my own model and texture into twinmotion), then exported it to datasmith
  3. create a new vr game project
  4. enable twinmotion content plugin and datasmith import plugin, setup the android meta quest project (the package name, etc).
  5. import the datasmith
  6. package to android and install to oculus quest 2

result in the exact same issue as before.

the error log still say "it was never saved as an export" just like before.

the full log attached

Btw for added context, the "it was never saved as an export" error is NOT in the log, and the textures did not get replaced with checkerboards if:

• i manually add textures via Unreal Engine editor
  • i import SKP (sketchup) objects and texture into unreal editor

LogStats Stats thread started at 0…zip (71.6 KB)

Is this problem solved? I'm facing the exact same issue. Could anyone please help?

Hello ,

Thank you for posting in the community and the follow-up. I was able to log a ticket for our development team to further look into this problem.

We appreciate your feedback and ideas. I will pass along the message to our team and was hoping if you have not done so already to submit your suggestion on the road-map here: https://portal.productboard.com/7pu88c9kpmqtzt8hwg6arujh/tabs/4-under-consideration

Kind regards,

Vincent B.

Thank you , hopefully the texture issue TM -> UE5 -> Meta Quest workflow can be fixed in the near future.

Also thanks for pointing out to the suggestion page, i've submitted my suggestion about Twinmotion export to standalone meta quest.

Hello ,

Thank you for the follow-up message and for the added details. I confirmed we added your details to the bug ticket you reported.

In this case it closed because we have the information we need at this time but doesn't mean it was resolved yet. This discussion is the same case as 00549339 and it also shows up under "My cases." Additionally we are working on improving the messaging/communication process.

Hope this makes sense and let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Kind regards,

Vincent B.