Twin motion issues and considering UE. Couple questions.

Hello,

We have been trying out Revit to twin motion and aren’t thrilled with it. We are having syncing issues, and sections through walls which is pretty essential for us creates basically 0 thickness walls and looks terrible.

I see renders that look incredible in unreal engine but that isn’t necessarily required for our work. While looking good is great there is a good enough point for what we are doing. Though having the option to get to the levels I see posted a lot is great.

My question is going from Revit to unreal engine via datasmith how much longer would we be looking at compared to twin motion in time to get some at least twin motion quality renders out of it.

Once unreal engine is learned is it reasonably quick to input furniture and add materials to the model and setup lighting for a good looking scene without having to achieve total photo realism? Or are we looking at many times the time investment compared to twin motion?

And if anybody happens to know we’ve see seen somebody has made a section tool on the marketplace. Do sections leave walls at a normal thickness when cut through?

Thanks,

Hello man, I’m
I havent used Twinmotion but I’m the UE4 archViz Artist and I may see your “wall section cut”, b/c u don’t have a picture so I can’t confirm is it like the function I’m talking right now or not. But I have my sample project so may u can have a look.

For your first question, bc I havent use twin motion so I can’t have correct answer for this. But I started learned UE4 by my self, so from my experience that would not be long if u wanna import model and set basic materials(b/c u not aiming to achieve photo realistic right), my just the same time u learn import to twin motion (b/c this step very basic)
I did working with some civeil engineer on make BIM 3D. I think in your case wanna make 3D structure for a building, u have to spend time on making function for your project ( like wall section cut, change view, animation,…) not spend too much on making model.

I can say if u wanna make more function for your project, UE4 would be good and right way to invest (bc u have fully controll your project: model, material, functions,…). And u can pack your project in Android or PC that would be easier to send to your customers.

And about section tools ( I’ll call the function in UE4) some people good at BluePrint can make u a template ( like a sample project with existed functions u want) then u can apply to all your projects ( bc most of the function not change, just the model change, the same with my Archi Viz)

Video:

If its .udatasmith about the same import time. And the Dataprep tool makes it super easy… easier than TwinMotion… to import and adjust materials, collisions, etc. Only downfall is I can’t seem to be able to import .fbx that way… have no idea why but I can’t