These tutorials describe one method for creating real world landscapes in UE4. We use GIS data downloaded from US Geological Survey, 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party content from the UE4 market place, and a plugin [COLOR=#666666]we’ve developed for the Unreal Editor, called TerraForm Lite, to import vector data (e.g. road maps) as splines in UE4.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#666666]We create an area called Twin Mountains, just west of Mt Washington, NH, USA. It’s about 8km by 8km of rocky/mountainous terrain, largely covered by forests. There are roads, rail lines and loads of hiking trails.[/COLOR]
- Digital Terrain Model (“DTM”) data to generate a height map in UE4;
- Aerial photography mosaics to create landscape layer masks, and;
- GIS vector data to generate roads, rail lines and trails.
We combine these with procedural terrain tools and content from UE4’s market place to generate a real world terrain. [COLOR=#666666]In this tutorial we use the GIS data to drive content from “Procedural Landscape Ecosystem” by Gokhan Karayadi (which is awesome and highly recommended - see below).
**Here’s a couple of screenshots: **[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#666666]As we add more functionality to the TerraForm tools, we’ll add further natural features and man-made infrastructure to the landscape and expand the tutorials. [/COLOR]
I’ve put all the GIS source files created in the tutorial on our site (look for “Samples”), in case you just want to do the UE4 bits. You will need a few other pieces of software to follow the whole process, but freeware options exist for most.
It’s written (not video) and has images for every step so a bit too long for a post on here in full. Here are section headings with links:
Using Maps (GIS Data) to Create Real World Landscapes in UE4:](https://terraformpro.com/tutorials/)
- Introduction – What’s in this tutorial?
- The Basics – What UE4 can (and can’t) do.
- Data/Tools – What you’ll need and where to get it.
- Downloading Data – Instructions for getting hold of GIS data.
- Defining UE4 Landscape Extents – How to define the dimensions for the UE4 landscape.
- Exporting GIS Data – How to export GIS data ready for UE4.
- Editing Vector Data – How to edit GIS vector data for UE4.
- Creating Landscape Masks – How to create landscape masks from aerial imagery.
- Creating UE4 Landscape – How to create a UE4 landscape from your height map.
- Surfaces & Vegetation – Using masks to drive procedural landscape texturing and vegetation.
- Adding Rail, Roads, etc. – Importing vector data as UE4 splines
This is in support of a wider effort to bring more GIS capabilities to UE4. There is a free version of TerraForm on our site.
If you find it useful, we’ll create more tutorials and develop more features, so please do let us know what you think.