Tutorial series on the shooter game demo in the marketplace

I (and I’m sure many others) would love a tutorial series on the shooter game demo in the marketplace!

You mean like a breakdown of the c++ classes? I’ve been picking it apart and making notes recently. I want to do a vid tutorial on it soon.

Hi jpmartin,

It’s not a step-by-step tutorial, but I want to make sure you’ve seen the ShooterGame Documentation that explains much of the project.

I’ll be sure to discuss your request with our documentation and content team.

Cheers

Thanks guys. Sorry for the late reply.

As an overly-ambitious learning project, I was going to try and make a simple First-person shooter game. With a fully functioning ShooterGame demo to reference, and the FPP template, I thought I couldn’t go wrong.

After poking around in the demo, it seemed very difficult to figure out what was going on. I didn’t realize that alot of the code was in C++ and not blueprints.

This write up does help me grasp the basic concepts though, so thank you for the link

@dokipen
it will be interesting to see that vid

the shootergame documentation is quite far from actual documentation, it doesnt really give much away.

is there any particular reason all the documentation is focused almost exclusively on blueprints?
apart from rama’s wiki pages there is next to nothing regarding c++ for ue4, will this be addressed in the near future or do we just have to continue to hack at it blindly?

Hey tegleg,

Admittedly, we have a lot of work to do on the programming side and there are plans to address several areas like networking and other gameplay concepts, but I don’t think it is fair to say there is “next to nothing regarding C++” in the documentation. Most of the work so far has been focused on those just starting out with UE4 programming and getting the C++ API reference in better shape as well as improving the ways in which we expose those things to users, especially in the editor.

If you can tell us what areas are of the most interest to you, we can see where those fit in with other priorities and hopefully get them done sooner rather than later.

thanks , i appreciate these things take time.
compared to blueprint documentation there really is next to nothing, almost everything i search for ends up with a page full of boxes joined with wiggly lines with no c++ equivalent.
blueprints are good but what could be done in a handful of lines of code can easily turn into 50 or 60 blueprint nodes, seems like we are almost forced to use them for everything.

there are so many areas to cover i guess some kind of community voting would be the best way to narrow them down.
with udk, how the gems were presented seemed to open up the programming side to a lot of people, maybe a similar explanation of the c++ templates would be a good introduction.
more like this
a random example from that page is ‘how does the ai work’
there is a detailed explanation with code snippets so you can clearly follow whats going on, the shootergame documentation would say something like:
the ai works with TakeDamage() and NotifyStructureDamage()
and you would be none the wiser and still basically fumbling in the dark.

what do other people want to see?

The gems were great. How-to’s are the UE4 version of gems. All of the items under Gameplay How To’s on the page below are scheduled to get C++ equivalents.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Gameplay/index.html

We also want to do tutorials over all of the templates, and after Microsoft’s announcement yesterday about Visual Studio there is a lot of excitement around here about building tutorials (similar to the in-editor tutorials we have now) and helpful tools right into VS.

It really is just a matter of resources and finding the time to work on all of the things we want to do to help you guys.

thats perfect, looking forward to it :slight_smile:

cheers

Hi…
Sorry for bring up this old Topic … but like other guys i want to ask Epic Games make a breakdown of this project for people like me that love c++ and UE4 please…