Tutorial incorrect

Hi all,

I am trying to learn the Unreal Engine vie using the tutorials provided. The current tutorial I am learning with is “Getting Started in Unreal Engine”. I am in the Actors lesson within the “Your First hour with Unreal Engine”.

Admittedly I have seen some flaws already with this tutorial being out of date.
Initially the chap says to download the latest version of the engine (mine being 4.25), and his was 4.22 at the time. I followed all the lessons and ran into a little trouble when he said to download the realistic renders project pack from the learn tab of the Epic games engine section. The Realistic Rendering project is gone. After looking around online I saw someone had uploaded the project to a website and so I was saved.

Moving on, after having created a large scene with detail I am at the actors part, editing the actor BP_lamp. The chap says to drag the reference to the Point light into the event viewer and to drag off a string and create a “Set light intensity” node. Initially I couldn’t find this but after unchecking the “Context Sensitive” box I was able to find it. The issue here is now the node won’t connect to the Point light reference. It says “Child Actor Component Object Reference is not copmatible with Light Component Object Reference”.

This issue is very persistent and I can’t seem to get past it, so I am really stuck with my learning journey. Is this part of the learning process - to learn that the engine breaks and/or has faults that contradict even the people teaching it?

This is very frustrating. Please can someone explain to me how to fix the engine so that I can continue learning how to use it as set out by the official tutorial.

[…]drag the reference to
the Point light into the event viewer
and to drag off a string and create a
“Set light intensity” node. Initially
I couldn’t find this but after
unchecking the “Context Sensitive” box
I was able to find it. The issue here
is now the node won’t connect to the
Point light reference. It says “Child
Actor Component Object Reference is
not copmatible with Light Component
Object Reference”.

Could you post a screenshot of what’s shown in the tut vs what you have?

This is my version:

Whereas this is on the tutorial version:

Hi, sorry I didn’t see the reply button and instead added it as a new comment. Please see the comment left with the screenshots attached

Makes sense, thank you.

Your version is different from the one in the tutorial, for sure. What’s called Point Light in your version is not really a light at all, it’s a Child Actor Component for some reason - compare the icons in the Components tab in the upper left corner. Perhaps you added it by mistake and renamed it? Or was it there to start with?!

Anyway, the easiest solution here is to delete this child actor component and add the correct one like so:

315912-screenshot-2020-09-26-183157.jpg

Found it here in the tut:

I can’t believe its that easy. I have been stressing over nothing! Thank you so much!
My own incompetence shines through and embarasses me.