Tutorial: Game Input for Windows - Experimental Release Notes

These are the release notes for the experimental plugin “Game Input for Windows” that launches with Unreal Engine 5.4.

https://dev.epicgames.com/community/learning/tutorials/EpZ4/unreal-engine-game-input-for-windows-experimental-release-notes

1 Like

With everything setup like in the tutorial I get this error: LogGameInput: Error: [FGameInputWindowsModule] Failed to create a GameInput device! GAME_INPUT_SUPPORT is false!

2 Likes

LogLoad: (Engine Initialization) Total time: 32.23 seconds
LogGameInput: Error: [FGameInputWindowsModule] Failed to create a GameInput device! GAME_INPUT_SUPPORT is false!

Heya, check out the “requirements” section of the tutorial. You need to have the GDK installed and a valid “GRDKLatest” environment variable.

You may need to restart your PC and re-generate solution files after installing the GDK if you didn’t have it when you started.

1 Like

I downloaded the GDK from here: GitHub - microsoft/GDK: Microsoft Public GDK

It is installed and I have it on the path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft GDK\231003\GRDK

I have 2 environment variables created after installing and restarting the computer, which are these:

Create a new project in C++, enable the plugins as in the guide and configure everything as it was there, to test the PS4 and PS5 control, close the project, delete all the folders like intermediate, the .sln, etc etc, regenerate the visual studio project files, compile the project and the start the engine comes out this:

Log LogStall Startup…
Log LogStall Startup complete.
Log LogLoad (Engine Initialization) Total time: 32.08 seconds
Error LogGameInput [FGameInputWindowsModule] Failed to create a GameInput device! GAME_INPUT_SUPPORT is false!

I don’t understand what steps I’m missing :frowning: , I’ll stay tuned, I also found a guide to set the environment variables without installing the GDk, although I don’t know where to download it without the installer, but I leave it in case someone is useful:

For next steps of trouble shooting that I would make sure that you are building UE from source here, and that you have the Unreal Engine GDK source code synced as well.

Also, make sure that you regenerate your solution files after setting up the GDK. It could be that your build system is still using an old environment. Sorry that you are having issues with this :frowning:

From here it says:

" March 2024 GDK

Breaking changes

Input

As of the March 2024 GDK release, the GDK installer no longer installs the GameInput libraries.

If you’re targeting PC, add the Microsoft.GameInput NuGet package (NuGet Gallery | Microsoft.GameInput 0.2303.22621.3038) to your solution. Run the NuGet package’s GameInput redistributable MSI to ensure that you have the latest runtime. Although the runtime is included in Windows May 2020 Updates and later, running the MSI will ensure that you have the latest version.
Include this redistributable in game installers to ensure that GameInput is available on all supported versions of Windows."

What’s the right way to install it? If we do it per-project is it going to set the right environment variable? And will this cause problems when we package for distribution or is it already in the normal engine redistributable stuff?

Hi!

I also got it working with Common Input in my case.

I wrote a quick post about it here if you’re interested!

I added some details, such as the link with HardwareDeviceId (InputScope) and the use of CommonControllerInputBase for the icons.

2 Likes

Thank you for the post.

But is the only way to use the Game Input for Windows when you also build UE from source? When will it support the launcher version?

Yes because the GameInput check the enable state only from Build.cs so while compiling the engine