[Tutorial] Deforming snow (and potentially mud) in Unreal Engine 4

So I used the alpha channel mainly. But I found with that I needed to make the decals emissive, then make the output 4 channels to include the alpha. As in the WorldAlignedTexture in the material. I think it should be in the tutorial. Then just mask out the alpha only. And in the scenecapture turn off all the other things except Decals, Landscapes and Static Meshes (well static mesh if you need it). Then the emissive should work well. But if you find another way to make the alpha channel work, then that would be great. But yea it needs to capture the landscape to capture the decals on top which sucks a bit.

Yeah, that’s exactly how I did it and alpha is just empty. I need to double check material, yesterday scene capture was ignoring dynamically spawn decals unless I make their emmisive like 10 times brighter. Decal win exactly the same material but placed in the level was working just fine.

Do remember there is the offset you need to adjust for it to work. I generally start with scaling it all way up/down to where you see a lot of small deformation, as then you see its working. Trust me, its a lot of stupid tweaking before it works xD Like almost every time I set it up, there was something I forgot.

Mmmm, which offset do you mean?

You need that to line it all up right

Ahh, that part is fine. It’s a bit different in my case:
8445fd1b10dd95198e3315d3299503671d4f68e0.jpeg

In my case it follows the tank to capture deformation decals only around the tank at some distance.
Work in progress looks like this:

On a back of the tank you can see a mask. Need to blur it before applying to avoid some jagged edges.

Really nice. So it dosent deform when your too far away? And is it working now then?
Also not sure if its a problem, but looks like the decals are going over the tank, and you can turn that off on the model itself. As there should be a box for the mesh for Receive Decals.
Looks like a better way to do it. What is the tracker position then? Dose that move dynamically.

It works pretty much because deformation decals are rendered on a second landscape 1000 meters bellow :slight_smile:
That mesh is just black and decals are white “blobs”.
TrackerPosition is a location of SceneCapture which has the same XY coordinates as tank but hovering over the 2nd landscape underground. It moves with the tank. There is a bit of shimmering but I can solve it by moving SceneCapture to discrete positions - rounding position to the closest center of the texel of projected texture.

That was a pretty neat solution to it. And if you can link the landscapes to both move when you change one, then it would be awesome. Like a landscape instance. And that works well with making it lag less. I need to try that sometime. Really like seeing that people can improve on this. But if someone finds out how to propperly paint then that would be the best :smiley: Thanks for sharing.

I’ve uploaded current WIP version to MMT_Content github repo, check it if you want, link in my signature.
Finally added some blur and displacement looks a bit better but still quite jagged on edges. Need to play a bit with a mask blending, shape and size. Unfortunately tessellation on landscape is quite a heavy thing.

Really nice. Thats some awesome work. Keep it up :smiley: And yea I added a control for how powerful the push was. I could take a look at it in a more advanced version I have. Means you can have more subtle tracks.

Just a heads up - you guys will most likely run into the same issue I did a couple months back, namely that SceneCapture2D’s performance is ATROCIOUS in packaged builds. Not only that, but it jitters like crazy.

Depends. I have made a full game with it. The jitter has to do with settings on a lot of things. Not sure what causes it but its not exlusive to builded games. The performance is okay ish. Its mainly the amount of decals

There should be no jitter if ScreneCapture is not moving and using very narrow FOV, like 1-2 degrees.
If you have to move ScreneCapture, as I do for the tank, then you need to make sure that it moves in descrete steps, so centers of the texels of projected texture stay in the same spot in world space. This is a typical correction for cascade shadow maps for example.

Hey guys,
I just put a blueprint asset on the Marketplace that will be deformed by any input and doesn’t use decals. You just drag the blueprint into the scene and any object will deform it without any setup.

[attach=config]139304[/attach]
[attach=config]139305[/attach]

help