[TUTORIAL] Creating outline/stroke effect around objects

Hello!

I’ve created an outline effect for project I’m working on and thought, I will share it with you.

Tutorial available here

Enjoy!

Thank you for sharing, been looking for something like this for a long time :slight_smile:

Very nicely done. Thank you for this tutorial.

Thank you for sharing this. I was considering making a post on this, but you beat me to it :slight_smile:

In case you’re interested on what I was working: http://www.tomlooman.com/ue4-evolves-outline-post-effect/

Glad that you guys like it!

That “evolve” outline looks really nice.
You used quite different technique with different results, so I think you should go ahead and post your solution too :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Really useful stuff you’ve got there, thanks for posting!

Ah, I forgot I could use this effect for my game! Thank you for the tutorial! :slight_smile:

Hello EF,

first of all thank you for the awesome tutorial. I am having issues trying to get it to work actually. For some reason once I set the blendables (last step) my screen will imminently become whichever colour I chose from the material blueprint. Please advice.

Best regards,

Nice work EF, thank you for the tutorial.

My question is how can I set it that it only outlines specific static meshes in such way that I can easily decide later when I do the level design which by just setting a boolean to true or something?

thanks, very nice!

This is really helpful, thanks for putting this up!
Is it possible to use several different colored outlines at once?
I’ve been trying to make this work, but haven’t had any success yet. Having multiple custom depths would be amazing.

thats nice

I found a solution. You can set it to trace for a specific type of item collision ( like vehicules or you can create new ones) and then set the collision type of the items you want to outline to that collision type.

interesting
Scheduled for future update

:B

Hi, great tutorial on this outline material.
But i can’t seem to figure out how to change the thickness of the outline. For my current project it is a bit too thin.

Check the B value in IF statement: