Tutorial : Create Your Own Interactive Map With Clickable Regions

Hello guys !

I have created a series of 6 videos dedicated to the creation of an Interactive Map in Unreal Engine, with clickable regions, like in a strategy game.

Before coming to this, I had searched on the internet how to do it. By grouping leads and thinking I succeeded. As there is no tutorial on UE from A to Z on this subject, finally… hum hum, it is now the case. I share it with you! Sorry for my English, I’m a frog. By the way, all my tutorial videos are subtitled in english.

Example of Clickable Regions on Youtube

1. The method consists in assigning material slots under blender to a plan, representing the map and its regions which will be selectable.

2. We also created a copy of this map, colorized with a unique color for each region.

3. Then in UE we go through a script that will allow the mouse cursor to read the color pixels of the regions overflown (of the upper layer of the BP of the map). The top layer being the map with the colorized regions (a material texture)

4. We manually fill in the color codes for each region in a Data Table, under a Linear Color variable. We make a comparison of what is hovered over and what we have in the Data Table. If it matches, we highlight the material of the region (the one made in Blender), via the Data Table, and we transmit any other desired information.

The Tutorial Start Here

Thank you,

5 Likes

Thank you dude, this helped me a lote, great tutorial !

1 Like