Turning camera in 4.11 crashes project

Updated to 4.11 just now, converted old 4.10 project. Entire project crashes to hell and back when I try to rotate the camera in the viewport.

Any suggestions?

Right mouse button inside the editor viewport - literally instantly crashes if I try to rotate. Not even starting any gameplay or anything.

I converted the project to 4.11 - I also made a new project, migrated all the relevant files to that one and it won’t even load the map.

Here’s the log from trying to open it:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53255048/RotationCrash.log

It works fine in 4.10 without any problems at all.

Edit: Also seeing Texture Streaming Pool Over 15MB in big fat red letters in the corner now.

Edit2: Well, I think this was why it crashed. Streaming Pool set itself to 0 during the update, it seems.

Gonna test some and see if it was the issue.

Hi Xaragoth,

We just released the official version of 4.11. Could you try converting your project there to see if the issue is still happening.

If it is, please include your Crash Callstack info (Epic ID and Machine ID) and make sure you submit that report. Also include your Crash Logs described here.

How are you turning the camera? Blueprints or code? Please include some screenshots if possible.

Okay, it’s NOT why it crashed. Also here’s the IDs:

MachineId:9C30F3324AF59D25FFF2AABA90A51BC5
EpicAccountId:c770d1c84083419ca2b19c3badfad534

In the crash log it mentions this same error with many different assets:

[2016.03.31-18.54.13:014][ 0]LogPackageName:Warning: String asset reference “ThroneRoom_Surfaces.Mesh.SM_Jagged_Rock01” is in short form, which is unsupported and – even if valid – resolving it will be really slow. Please consider resaving package in order to speed-up loading.

I know there is a lot of them, but try resaving these assets. Maybe resave a batch of them and then check a new crash log to see if they are included.

Do you still have the 4.10.4 version of your project? I’m just making sure that you didn’t convert in place or anything.

Unless you need a feature or bug fix from 4.11, you could stay and develop in 4.10.4 for the time being.

I still have my 4.10.4 ver, yeah. I was hoping to switch to 4.11 since I had some memory leak issues with 4.10 and the new performance improvements. I’ll just finish this up in 4.10.4 and then start a new project with 4.11, I guess. It’s not that much more to adjust.

But I’ll try saving the packages that are out of date. It’s quite a bunch indeed. I’ll see if that helps, just for future reference :slight_smile:

I have managed to nail it down to the foliage actor causing the crash somehow. If I hide it, the level works fine

Not entirely sure how yet, since it works fine in 4.10.4 - any ideas of what changed would be welcome.

Edit: I’ve managed to narrow it down to the icicles I used inside the cave. I still have no idea why exactly they break UE4.11 though.

Edit2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53255048/CrashLog2.log New log

Edit3: Icicles work fine in other maps. Must be something about the amount of them used in the foliage that UE4.11 can not handle somehow. Any ideas?

Edit4: Crash unrelated to numbers. As long as any of them still exist in the level, it breaks. However, painting new ones after deleting the old ones works fine. Potentially related to light build. Gonna test that after I wake up.

Hmm, it sounds like either the asset or the level has become corrupted. Likely the level since the asset works fine in other levels.

Let me know what the results of your light building tests are.

No influence, sadly. Tried anything I could think off, in the end only delete worked.

Well, not about to repaint the entire cave assets just because of this. Gonna finish it up in 4.10.4 and be done with it.

I attempted to move your last comment to an answer in order to resolve this post, but it looks like AnswerHub lost it for whatever reason. So I am reposting your response from my email notification:

No influence, sadly. Tried anything I
could think off, in the end only
delete worked.

Well, not about to repaint the entire
cave assets just because of this.
Gonna finish it up in 4.10.4 and be
done with it.

I’m sorry we couldn’t find a better solution. It is sometimes difficult tracking down the exact cause when dealing with assets that have possibly become corrupted. Internally when we have seen these errors, resaving the assets have fix them for us so far.

Cheers,

TJ