Tunnels of Despair

I really like the idea, too! Keep us updated with progress :slight_smile:
When there is a playable Alpha I would like to give it a test as well.
Can (or do you want) to tell us, what kind of enemies there are? What kind of AI is walking through these tunnels?

Andā€¦ yeahā€¦ maybe you should really change the story a bit, since the entire tunnel system seems to be manmade and it is a bit confusing if you tell that the player will be there as the first person ever^^

Now we are testing two types of enemies. The first type is slow and blindā€¦ The second is something like a mini boss who is chasing the player.

I agree. History in the process of alteration =)

:slight_smile:

Short teaser trailer :rolleyes:

Looks quite nice already :slight_smile:
However, you could maybe add some more details, not only regarding more geometry but also with respect to a more interesting lighting setup?
And -> It is a bit weird that the animated texture from the flickering flourescent tube is not synchronized with the flickering light effect. Is it (with reasonable effort) possible to have both synchronized?

Keep on going!

Thanks for the help! Did not notice that the flicker effect works badly. :frowning:
We will try to make the lighting better and synchronize the flicker effect.:wink:

Two new screenshots. Work in progress!

150ab16fecf09f214a01a180273041ecb4a60dc8.jpeg

189df0aa24dc029430df812d9a6813860f48d903.jpeg

Crawl, zombie, crawlā€¦:smiley:

Work in progress!

I like the Half Life 2 inspired atmosphere, but I agree that many of particularly the larger texture spaces (like some roofs and walls) could need to be broken up with decals or more varied textures, so they donā€™t look so repetetive or bland. For being abandoned the environments look a little clean too, so surely they could need more rubble, decals and supporting clutter. Iā€™m sure more can be added to the atmosphere with postprocessing, lighting tweaks, more particle systems (like fog/mist) etc. Iā€™d also advice to vary the room sizes, from the video it seems most are kind of medium sizedā€¦this game could set the stage for many claustrophobic narrow spaces I suppose, and tense narrow areas contrasts great with the occasional big and open room.

What are your other game-inspirations for this game? I donā€™t know how relevant it might be, but thereā€™s many subways and tunnels in Fallout 3 (postapocalyptic rpg from 2008).

The zombie is awseome :smiley:
Plus, I really like that you have a crowbar - it pleasantly feeds Half-Life-emotions but it still has his own kind of character, so that it does not seem to be copied too much! Keep going!

However, I agree with Chiaro22 - you can still add a lot of detail on your scenes! Can you state where you see yourself in that regard? Are these scenes only rough blockouts or do you aim to have levels with a lower level of detail?

Yes, I will work on adding more destroyed models, new decals, and lighting. Thereā€™s not much in the way of narrow and small spaces yet, but a few are already there. Iā€™ll try to showcase them in the following screenshots. I draw inspiration from a number of post-apocalyptic games, such as Half-Life, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Fallout, Metro, and others. :smiley:

Indeed, the crowbar gives rise to nostalgia for Half-Life. :slight_smile: I do my best to add new models in the game progressively as I create or buy them. As for adding details, I want to maintain a balance between quality and performance, while also avoiding an empty map.

Yeah, adding plain details is not always the best way to go :wink: Maybe I can recommend you watching this video:https://youtube.com/watch?v=BqZzxAmlKP4The guy basically brakes down (or at least tries to) why certain scenes look better than others and what makes them beauty and visually appealing. I found it quite inspiring.
Cheers!

Thank you :wink: Very interesting video lecture!

Oh, the bed! I can sleepā€¦ :slight_smile:

Looks nice, but why is the mattress disappearing?^^
And what is the function of sleeping? Does it restore health, act as safe-point or something like that? Good to see that you can make progress :slight_smile:

I forgot to add a outline for the mattress :eek:
Yes, sleep will restore lives but increase hungerā€¦ :smiley: In this build, hunger and thirst are combined into single bar

Fight in the Half Life Style :smiley:

Well that is not a helpful comment ā€¦

I like the fighting with the Crowbar :smiley:
Are you actually still only a team of two developers?