Trying to make a dash system based on input direction, not velocity or the direction the character is facing.

I have been attempting to make a dash system that takes the player’s inputs and makes them perform a dash in the direction they are currently inputting. I am working with blueprints on a third person template.

I have seen some other posts and tutorial videos that showcase how to make the player dash in the direction the capsule is facing or the direction of their current velocity, however this is not what I’m going for.

Here’s what I have gotten so far (I used “Get Right Vector” because the forward vector calculations weren’t working, not sure if it made my problem better or worse):

I combined the x and y input readings into a 2D vector in the top left, normalized it (so it works the same on controller) and used that in my calculations rather than the raw input values.

I have successfully made the majority of my dashing system except for the direction calculations, so if anyone could help me out with this, I’d really appreciate it.

Would GetLastInputVector be what you are looking for ?
Also available on the CharacterMovementComponent under similar name GetLastMovementInputVector

I’m new to EU, so not sure if that will help you out.

1 Like

Thank you so much, this does exactly what I needed!

1 Like

Would GetLastInputVector be what you are looking for ?
Also available on the CharacterMovementComponent under similar name GetLastMovementInputVector

I’m new to EU, so not sure if that will help you out.