Trying to create animations for new assets

Sorry but I had to revive this thread… I am only able to work on this Project in unreal 4.71 and they removed the defaults options for the “MyCharacter” blueprint… What I mean is I cannot link the outdoor version of the previous character I implemented to the mycharacter tab in this blue like the video showed in the original post… Can you tell me what I need to do to make the default character a different one, then the one I’ve been using?

Basically I cannot find where to mesh both the skeleton and blueprint for the character in the MyCharacter blueprint.

I got it working. Took forever to find the new option…

I have a new question… I have a health bar linked to this same character and I have a death animation… I would like to know a good tutorial to implement the death animation on 0 health based on the changes I already made… Thanks…

You can do it with a state like the idle/walking/jumping or with a montage. Here are the steps:

1. create a health variable in your character bp. After that cast it into your anim bp + create a health_animbp float variable in there and connect it with the health variable from the character bp
    2.create a new state in the anim graph which is connected with the idle/walk. In the transitions you should add your health variable + a “float = float” which will give you a bool which you connect with the transition. In the transition from “dying” to idle/walk you should add your health variable + a “float >”.

Now when you reach 0 health it will play the death animation. When it is >0 he will be alive. :slight_smile:

With a montage it nearly works the same:

1. create a montage which includes the animation
  2. in your character bp you have to create a setup like on this picture:

Are there any videos that could also aid me with this? I am going to take screens of my current blueprints soon so that you can see… When I can of course… Should be soon…

This should teach you everything that you need to know: :slight_smile:

Here is a screenshot with the health float variable implemented… This is in the mycharacter blueprint.

://i.gyazo/0bd2571be59123946957060a7b9e09e0.png

Would it be appropriate to create a 1d blended space with the death animation in it and then add it to the state machine of the characterbp just as I did the action animation?

Ok I think I am just confused with the very first non-montage step… I am to create the variable in both the MyCharacter blueprint and the BP I created… And when you state cast that means make a 1d blended space then find the BP variable to connect in the state machine? This is just like implementing the action animation?

Edit: I’m pretty sure it’s the EventGraph changes that I need to know about… I am almost certain you link everything to a blendspace for the actual collapse/death animation. Correct?

You have to cast the bool variable into the anim bp - there you have to “get” it - create a new variable in the anim bp - “set” it - connect the “get” with the “set” - open the anim graph - go to the transition from the idle to the death anim - add the bool variable from the anim bp into the transition :slight_smile:

I have to create two Health variables the first one being Set and then the new one Being Get?

You need one in the character bp (this one will be changed) and another one in the anim bp so that you can use it in the anim graph. :slight_smile:
Now when you change the variable in the character bp it will change in the anim bp and also in the anim graph.

I will post a picture tomorrow (pretty late right atm) :wink:

Everything compiled and here are my changes… What are the ways I could test to see if this works? Mind you i didn’t add anything to the MyCharacter BluePrint from earlier…

://i.gyazo/ac7ac56ed61578311608c554335c406c.png

://i.gyazo/c442bb93477c36d36c4edb7eca45f1c8.png

://i.gyazo/b1da4d0a1580643fbc74bb9df881c3fc.png

://i.gyazo/aa14fd816eb23fb94fb0cfff3cd60f33.png

://i.gyazo/4869a4e0bece0a19b87fec0ce0ca37f6.png

Any ideas here? Not even sure if I have it working (I don’t think I do)

-also connect the cast with something (the event blueprint update animation)
-for health use <= or <1
-why do you use a blendspace for your death anim? :slight_smile:

How do I link my death animation? I guess I don’t need a blendspace?

Just drag and drop your animation into the state -> you can get it from the bar at the bottom of the viewport :slight_smile:

Do you want both in between states to follow those health logics?
If I connect the cast to the envent blueprint update animation, it won’t collect to isvalid

I connected the cast to Interact Action 2 set…

Just go to the end of the node sequence and place your cast + health node there and connect it.
Why do you use the cast node? -> as far as I can see from the picture you get your health variable from the anim bp, but I’m sure you change it in the character bp. So you will have to use the one from the cast -> drag out the blue link from the cast node and search for your variable.

transition from walk/idle to death anim -> Health <=0
transition from death to walk/idle -> health >1