Trying to build my first custom node for BP

Hi there,

I am following this guide https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Custom_Blueprint_Node_Creation
and if I copy the example code for the “add floats” from it into my first Visual C++ Project, i get a compilation error :

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command ""C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.7\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" CppProject_01 Win64 Development "C:\Users\*Username*\Documents\Unreal Projects\CppProject_01\CppProject_01.uproject" -rocket" exited with code -1.

I chose “Development” from the “Solution Configurations” and i wonder if it is right.

Here is my screenshot showing my project based on the guide :

Can anyone help me a bit, so I get my first steps done ?

Hi there, I’m not an expert in C++, but clearly there’s an issue in your cpp file, since your method is being highlighted red by IntelliSense.
Now, I noticed your class is named UStringParserNode. But your method states UCreateNewObject::AdFloats(…).
I think that it should be something among the lines of:

float UStringParserNode::AddFloats(float fA, float fB) { }

Thx Ichproducciones, this looks a lot better, but it gives me another error message now :

I wonder, why the guide is obviously faulty.

Ok cool. Your code is compiling! Congratz!!
Now, I belive that error is happening becouse you’re trying to run the engine in a production build (since your config is set to auto, as your first picture shows). Try changing it to DebugEditor. But I’m not sure if this is your problem, like I said, not an expert here. :stuck_out_tongue:
Here’s a picture of what I mean:

Change that select field to DebugEditor.

Yay it works !
But it is not the Auto Dropdown field, it is right from that, I chose “DebugGameEditor” and now it workes all.
e1288e223f154b85b876be3b522068f5cd11a86c.jpeg

Thank you so much !!! Ahora estoy feliz :smiley:

Cool! I don’t have VS at this computer so I could only see it for your screenshots, but well, it was close :stuck_out_tongue:
Nice to see you’ve got it working!

Cheers!