Trying to apply custom clothing onto metahuman

Hey, I’m a new Unreal user trying to apply a piece of custom cloth onto a metahuman character but I cannot seem to get it to apply correctly and I’m completely stumped as to why. FYI I’m following a tutorial on how to do this.

I’ve exported the preview skeleton out from UE4 and applied the custom clothing inside Blender then exported it out as a FBX back into Unreal. I swap out the preset hoodie but then this happens. I’ve got a construction script to set master pose and it seems like that that is the reason it breaks. But without the construction script it, the character cannot animate properly and the clothing is not in the right position.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of without trying it is make sure when you import your fbx the Y axis on the import screen is set to -1, try that, let me know what happens?

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that didn’t help. I’m thinking it might have something to do with the actual mesh -i.e. the way that I have weight painted the clothing or the physics object

Is the origin pivot position of your new clothing mesh the same as the original metahuman origin pivot position?

1 Like

Hi. Getting a similar issue. Please help with this if you know what the bug is.! Thank you!

Did you fix this?

Same issue here, I followed this tutorial Clothing for Metahumans I Import 3D clothing using blender and weight painting for UE4 | Learn w/ me - YouTube

The difference is, I have two meshes I’m trying to rig to the torso, its a T-Shirt and a Jacket.

In Blender I followed all the steps, aligned the mesh to the skeleton. Then I used data transfer, weight painted the crewneck T shirt to the jacket and parented the jacket and applied the weights and parented the jacket to the armature.

It moves fine with the armature in blender. But when I imported it back into Unreal, I apply the skeletal mesh to my metahuman torso, it looks deformed like that.

Has anyone come across a fix or can pinpoint the issue?