Troubleshooting Crash on Load

We are developing a large, open world (WP) in UE 5.1, but our project has become unstable. Almost any change to the project causes it to become unloadable. After a change and save, the editor will consume all available RAM (and virtual memory) on the system and crash.

I’m wondering what troubleshooting steps people can recommend? We have rolled the project back and forth and have identified some stable versions, but almost any change to these causes it to blow up. I’ve also tried migrating the world partition level to a new project, but it does the same thing.

I suspect a corrupted asset somewhere, but I’m not sure how to isolate the issue. I could start deleting actors until the project stabilizes and then try to isolate the culprit… But I wonder, is there a better way to identify which assets might be causing UE to use hundreds of gigabytes of RAM and then crash?

I also wonder if the issue is with 5.1, and maybe we should just put the project on hold until we get 5.1.1…?

Thanks in advance.

-Donald

Troubleshooting a project that becomes unstable and consumes a lot of memory is a complex process that requires some investigation. Here are some steps you can try:

1. Try to identify the cause of the problem:

• Check the output log for any error messages that might indicate the cause of the problem.
  • Test your project by making small changes and observing the results to see if the problem can be isolated.

2. Reduce the complexity of the project:

• Try simplifying your level by removing actors, reducing the number of assets, or reducing the size of your terrain.
  • Use the memory profiler to find areas of your project that are using a lot of memory.

3. Check for corrupted assets:

• Try using the Unreal Editor’s “Fix Up Redirects” option in the “Content” menu to see if any assets are corrupted.
  • Use the Unreal Editor’s “Verify” option in the “File” menu to make sure that your assets are not corrupted.

4. Try different Unreal Engine version:

• If you’re experiencing issues with Unreal Engine 5.1, try a different version of Unreal Engine to see if it resolves the problem.

If none of the above steps solve the problem, it might be necessary to seek help from the Epic Games Support Team.

1 Like