Troubleshooting a Character that stopped moving

Hi there,
I am having a weird problem with one of my Characters. I had it running earlier with input and it was moving around and jumping etc. Now for some reason it has stopped moving. The weird part is it still rotates, and I can see the input is being applied to AddMovementInput successfully ( I am printing out GetPendingMovementInputVector). It is driving me nuts trying to figure it out though.

Some things I have tried:
a) Recreating the logic in a new Character, works flawlessly.
b) Comparing, line by line, the newly created version (main object, CharacterMovement Component, Mesh component, etc) They are identical.
c) It is active and getting input (it is rotating and I can see the graph running and print out the input as described above, so the player is getting the input to it.)
d) Disabling collisions, physics etc on the relevant Character. Its a super simple setup, straight from the docs so this is really frustrating.

I was playing around with Nav Meshes before it stopped working so it could be related to that? I was also playing around with the scale/collider component a little bit.

I have recreated the object in question already but it just seems really weird that it stopped working suddenly so I was hoping someone could help me figure out what the heck is going on. If you have specific details you want me to check, just let me know. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hey, question, whats this comment about? did you type it?

About the navmesh, that shouldn’t matter if the character is player controlled.
When you try and play, does the event fire and if so does it stop at any point? Any error messages after you stop playing?

Hi Devic.a,
That was my comment yes, I was just noting for myself that the Input from that does not process on a Pawn as noted in the tool tip.

This object is derived from a Character however, so I’m confused why it is not moving. I can see that it is rotating, and the animation is playing like I am walking forward so I know the input is being processed at some point. I can also print out the PendingMovementInputVector (I am assuming this is the right thing? I’m not sure though) and see it printing out the vector.

My understanding is that the CharacterMovement component should be consuming this input to move so perhaps it is being intercepted by Pawn?

Another question I have is how would I consume this input manually (as the tooltip suggests) if this were a subclass of Pawn rather then containing a CharacterMovement component?

I’ll throw my hierarchy on here as well in case I messed up something there.

Hierarchy of Killer Robot

Thanks for your help, I’m sure it is something silly.

Your BP code looks fine from what I can see. Can you post your Character Movement Component default values? I wonder if your max walk speed got set to 0 or something like that.

See the first post, there you can see that the speed is set up properly, as well as other variables.

Hey, so the node PendingMovementInputVector, I have honestly never used it. however if it is printed it means the execution is successful.

‘My understanding is that the CharacterMovement component should be consuming this input to move so perhaps it is being intercepted by Pawn?’
CharacterMovement is just a component of the Character class, which is derived from a pawn class. So that shouldn’t be an issue.
What happens if you disconnect the capsule component, and get the forward and right vectors with object references to self?
I am looking at the default setup for a third person character here and it’s a bit different but the idea is the same. Maybe this helps

‘Another question I have is how would I consume this input manually (as the tooltip suggests) if this were a subclass of Pawn rather then containing a CharacterMovement component?’
If I understand correctly this refers to the AI Pawn, in this case you would use animation, state machine and behavior tree to program the movement pretty much.

1 Like

If you were messing with Nav Meshes, try pressing P to see if the Nav Mesh Bounds cover your area, or make a new, clean map with a Nav Mesh Bounds on it and drop your character into it. Since that’s what you were playing with, that’s as good an area to start as any.

1 Like

Thank you for all your help. I figured it out. I had increased the Capsule collider size to be bigger then the available Nav mesh.

Thanks! Your tip made me realize the issue. It was something really dumb but I didn’t notice it until I grabbed the screenshot to post for you.

The issue was that I had increased the Capsule radius of the CapsuleCollider, which made it larger then the NavMesh’s available size. Reducing the radius allowed the Character to start moving again. I knew it would be something dumb like this. Thanks for the help though.

2 Likes

Hey there. I also ran into this problem. I have a set up where I can swap between two characters. One stopped working all of a sudden – then I follower your tip with the capsule… funny enough whenever I tinker with the capsule on one character the other one stops working and vice versa… any idea what this might be?