Trouble with Landscape retopology

Hi ,

https://onedrive.live/redir?resid=79A04534F6B84EF5!24970&authkey=!AONotniyFrxo5u8&v=3&ithint=photo%2Cjpg < what is causing this artifacting, and how do I fix it ? :wink:

I redid topo making It much cleaner, set uv map res in editor to 128 and got mesh down to 83k.

Iā€™ve tried the ā€˜seperatingā€™ mesh into more pieces but that just makes ugly obvious lines , and going down to anything much lower than 83k is going to look quite ugly so thatā€™s a non starter.

I have zero overlapping UVā€™s so its not that either but lately I have gotten ā€™ Degenerate Tangent Bases ā€™ error, but using mesh editor option of recompute tangents , at least on complection of lightmaps generate no errors, so it seems unlikely its a lightmap issue right ?

https://onedrive.live/redir?resid=79A04534F6B84EF5!24983&authkey=!AE6fBSAXQaYPp38&v=3&ithint=photo%2Cjpg < this occurs also, if this helps in diagnosing whatā€™s going on :wink:

Oh btw and not sure if it is relevant, but viewing mesh in static mesh editor, and these bad images are not present at all, looks perfect.

I found elsewhere on answers.unreal, it could be stray vertex possibly*&/or ā€˜smoothing groupsā€™, but the fbx I exported from blender, has ā€˜smoothingā€™ set to faces which I presume is whats needed, or do I need to set this issue in blender settings somewhere ? Just thinking to think of all possible issues.

ty
nl

1. I dont know exactly what the problem is :smiley: -> but does it look right when you use dynamic lightning? (post a picture of how it should look like)
  2. to get rid of those shadows you will have to increase the lightmap resolution of your landscape

I bingā€™d, found a 'lightmapping panel in usity or what it looks like anyway, but how do I get to it ?

I have no idea how to enable dynamc lighting, or is that PRO only ? ;(

OH btw, the non live view of my scene looks the same as live play mode.

THis is picture of how it looks non live as you requested:

https://onedrive.live/redir?resid=79A04534F6B84EF5!25016&authkey=!ALGwuxj9YmsLA9c&v=3&ithint=photo%2Cjpg

cheers and thx for any help you can be on this issue.

nl

1. to change the lightmap resolution you will have to click onto the landscape - in the details panel you can change it (e.g to 2 or 3)
  2. Dynamic lightning -> Just set your lights to ā€œmoveableā€ (in the details panel)

Dont forget the picture of the mesh in your 3d program -> so that I know what exactly you mean :smiley:

sorry ya it just took a few as I was a little busy sorry bout that heh, but its there now ;))

Iā€™ll check settings as you described while you look at it.

>>>>>>>>
image is embed now for you to look at and you can clearly see I have smooth turned on, and there is no ugly artifacting and topo is very clean as Iā€™ve worked very hard to do so for obvious reasons :wink:

cheers
nl

OK, I set lightmap res. to 3, made all lights whether large directional or pinpoint lights to all moveable,and things are mUCH better.

Iā€™ll check and make sure how things look in all places where it was an issue and update this post, sorry for this non live conversation I realize its very non optimal :wink:

EDIT EDIT: Ok lighting is MUCH better, but still have some artifacting,but nowhere near what it was before :wink:

Iā€™m using build ā€˜previewā€™ for lighting, can that cause these issues as well? :wink:

cheers
nl