Trouble importing csv from Excel

Hi
Im working on datatables and havent managed importing one from excel yet. I use the csv file format according to turotials(ive tryied all the various csv types).
Ive created several files to test if theres sometging wrong with the file im trying to import but nothing works. Ive made sure over and over to see that my csv files matches the struct
but i keep getting the same type of message:

Expected column ‘NPC_ID’ not found in input.
Expected column ‘topicName’ not found in input.
Expected column ‘questLine’ not found in input.
Expected column ‘advQuestline’ not found in input.
Expected column ‘objective_ID’ not found in input.
Expected column ‘blockCount’ not found in input.
Expected column ‘block1’ not found in input.
Expected column ‘block2’ not found in input.
Expected column ‘block3’ not found in input.
Expected column ‘block4’ not found in input.
Expected column ‘block5’ not found in input.
Expected column ‘block6’ not found in input.
Expected column ‘block7’ not found in input.
Expected column ‘block8’ not found in input.
Row ‘1’ has more cells than properties, is there a malformed string?

Theres no spaces in the column titles. Theres no , in the text cells. A1 is empty…
The variables im using are Ints, booleans, strings and text.
Im closing excel each time i import the file into unreal as i know it causes problems if the the file is open when importing.

The only thing that has worked is when i created a csv file in note pad where i wrote the colums and rows manually separated by ,
Any ideas what this could be? Im using microsoft office 365.

Ive been googling for hours trying to find the solution but nothing has worked.

Hi, this is a problem with how excel saves it’s csv files. There was an export macro somewhere here on the forum or in the documentation i forgot where to find it.

Best solution I found is after saving your CSV from excel, open it in notepad or something else, and just resave it, without modifying anything. Just open save, and then import to unreal.

3 Likes

Hi, thank you for the reply. Going thru notepad didnt work, But i installed open office and importing from open office works! :slight_smile:

Re-saving the CSV with Notepad worked for me, thanks for the suggestion!

I like Google Sheets for this. It exports well to UE4 and is cloud-based so you can take your work with you when necessary.

Also shameless plug for my plugin vvv