Tri's too high?

I made a street and sidewalks with lights and other items and when I copy it to make 400 feet of street it runs up too 940,000 tris and 782,000 polys…Im honestly not giving much detail…Is this a normal count or do I still need to remove it to what?

I would post a picture but my game is KINDA secret :stuck_out_tongue: I am alone on this Sadly I SO wish I had a team but I’m poor LOL…disabled

I can say that I have 49 Items in each Group, the group has 47,000 tris and 40,000 polys…Then it runs up when you copy that to make a city street…

I just need to know what number is Next Gen for a level in UE4…Am I making since here? LOL…

It’s difficult to determine without seeing it really. It’s all based on how many objects you have on the sidewalk and street, and whether they are being duplicated as well. Though it does seem like it may be high.

It’s 7 objests duplicated to 49 objects in a group :slight_smile:

do i just use smoothing groups ? right now I use cylinders and use 18 height segments …should i use 8 and then smooth group it? not sure if it’ll look as good?

If you have a cylinder without any details, then there should be no extra loops. Unless it contributes to the shape then it’s not needed. Still, it’s going to be very hard to figure out if things are too high poly without seeing them.

c4229720556408ea1e3bc572d88d1b1debd0304b.jpeg the shape im using

thats 2440 tris and polys

Yeah, that’s probably too high, and remember on a cylinder unless you’re looking down the end you won’t be able to see much that it’s not perfectly round, so you can probably reduce the number of sides it has as well, start with 8 and see if that’s OK.

this thread might help.

Yeah that seems a little excessive for that one piece. As darthviper mentioned, a reduction of edges along the side can help reduce the tri count without affecting the shape too drastically. When it comes to modeling you don’t want to waste polys. Unless you absolutely need it, you can do without. You may want to evaluate your other models and see if you can optimize them a bit more as well. Good luck. =)

You should always use the most minimum number of polys possible. A cylinder looks good even with 7-8 segments. For smaller ones 4-5 segments should be fine.

ex.: only 128 polys

To be honest, this is really going to vary. If you’re creating a piece that’s not going to be seen up-close in your environment, then it doesn’t need to be high-poly and can look a tad rough. Once textures, normal maps and all that good stuff is on there, in addition to lighting and so forth? You’ll not notice.

Additionally, if it’s a piece that’s going to be seen up-close, instead of going for a high-poly object, you should be baking out normal maps on to a low res mesh. As others have said, never waste polys. If they’re contributing nothing to the mesh, get rid of them.

It’d be wise to go ahead and provide an entire shot of your scene if you’d like further advice, mate.

Thanks guys for the help :slight_smile: Ya’ll are the best…I might post picture soon…Making just a simple area takes SO MUCH work…adding LODs and lightmaps ect…Never thought it would be this much work LOL…

how did you get it too bend that good? I used a bend modifyer but it looked awful with that low of segs…am i missing a trick?

Well even though I’m new to UE, I just watched a video where a scene with 7 million polygons was still keeping frame rates at 90-100 fps and wasn’t much more of a hit from a scene with 3 million polygons. They went on to show that even with 20 million polygons, the performance hit wasn’t huge although there was a hit. It seems that UE can handle a good amount of geometry, it seems that you need to be more concerned with other factors in your scene like complex materials and other factors. Having said that, I would always shoot for the lowest geometry count per item you can manage to leave yourself room for the other factors in your scene. The 128 poly shape from above being a good example.

Normal maps are your friends.

Depends would you consider 70 million to be to much? :smiley:

The question is how many items makes up as part of the total unit and how they are broken down by sub objects so that the engine can cull what it does not see. Assuming desk top then 49 items per group to a total of 940k (sounds smaller that way) is no big deal as to NextGen

My opinion NextGen means make it look the way you want it to instead of design by spec.

thank you for the help guys :slight_smile: