Translucent Material Function - Layered Car Paint Shader

These shots look awesome! 60s Challenger in the desert, very cool.
Edit: 1970 Challenger

I tried a similar approach with my shader, initially. What I wasn’t able simulate a convincing flake sparkle without a layered material. Adding a normal map to the flake gave the entire surface a bumpy appearance. Although, it might be possible to use a fresnel on the normal map to achieve the sparkle on the flake, but not to give the entire surface a bumpy appearance. I will have to play around with that concept some.

I need to do more research and testing for reflections on transparent materials. I have received a lot good information on this post. Now I just need to do some experimenting.

I definitely need to look into LPV. Real-time GI is something I would love to implement.

Thanks,
-Vince

I think he means the following…since he is using the translucent second shell, he doesnt get SSR because they are not supported yet…so it looks like no dynamic stuff is reflecting :wink:

Ahh, ok. :slight_smile:

Glad you like it guys. I’m not going for a metallic paint originally(you can see more here: Vanishing Point (Not the '97 remake!) - Film, TV & Animation - Epic Developer Community Forums ) and while HDR looks good, it ruins the interior lighting so i eliminated both the skylight and ambient cubemap and now i’m using LPV for lighting and it will look even better when the environment gets more crowded. :slight_smile:

I actually thought about the normal map but i’m not sure if it is worth it. you need a normal map with high enough resolution that particles would be visible at 1:1 scale. And then when you tile it enough times to get the metallic paritcles look it may start to get blurry and not worth using it. Some more modification can be done to the roughness noise map to get that sparkly look though but i dont have anything in mind yet. I’ll keep posting as i find out more about this.

Btw, you guys may want to keep this thread updated too since not everyone follows AnswerHub:

If you mean mine, just right click them → show image, then you will at least get the full rez :smiley:

I agree. The sparkle effect on a typical metallic paint is fairly negligible, at least with my testing so far. I have to keep testing myself but generally you wouldn’t be able to see the effect unless the camera was extremely close to the surface.

On the other hand, the sparkle effect on large flake paint should be obvious and embellished. Notice the flake in this image, of a flaked hotrod.

Aluminium flakes in the paint are reflecting light where there are no highlights in the clear coat, indicating that the flake’s surface angle is irregular. In the flesh, the sparkle effect is pronounced. This is the effect I’m looking to emulate.

Thanks for linking the thread on the forums, Jacky! I didn’t know about it. I will begin to update my progress there. This post has gotten a little complicated to follow.

Oh, now i see how it can be worth it. I’ve been thinking of modern car paints with smaller flakes which tend to be more uniform. :slight_smile:
In this case you may want to consider creating the normal map of a galvanized metal surface, which can give the irregularity we see here i think, and mask it with a cloudy alpha to randomize the tiling. But we still need to figure out how to get rid of the normal bump in larger angles.

Here is an image of my most recent progress. More to see at: Interesting post from AnswerHub on how to setup a Layer Car Paint shader - Rendering - Unreal Engine Forums

Edit: Fixed the link!