Translate(Move) without Transformation Widget

Hi All,

I was wondering if there was a way to translate or move an object with my mouse without interacting with the transformation widget. Similar to what Blender does, I am hoping there is a hotkey for moving and after being pressed another hotkey can be used to define one or more axis. Then moving the mouse would move the object in whichever axis the user wants.

I find it painful to navigate my viewport to the transformation widget every time I need to translate, rotate, or scale an object by mouse. There must be a quicker way!

Thanks!

I will kind of answer my own question.
I have found that I can move an actor by pressing the arrow keys (← ↑ β†’ ↓) relative to the viewport last used and based on the type of transformation you wish.

Well I kind of have a fix, but I can’t use my mouse.

You can move an object by pressing the arrow keys (← ↑ β†’ ↓). This is dependent on the last viewport used. This does not work in the perspective view.

Side note, there seems to be a bug when moving subtractives this way. The subtractive / boolean that is applied to additives does not get updated.

You can use control+mouse to move objects.

In 2D viewports, Ctrl+LMB moves object around in the viewport plane.

In 3D viewport :

• Ctrl+LMB moves along X axis.
  • Ctrl+RMB moves along Y axis.
  • Ctrl+LMB+RMB moves along Z axis.

Works similarly with rotate and scale. You can switch between translate/rotate/scale by pressing Space.

After moving geometry brushes, you need to rebuild geometry. There is an option to auto rebuild geometry after every move. However if your level gets big it will become a problem. You can rebuild geometry with Ctrl+Shift+B.

1 Like

Thanks! This works pretty well so I marked it as the accepted answer.

Would you happen to know if there is a way to combine axis in the 3D viewport using this method?