Transitioning smoothly between two camera shakes (first-person character)

Hi all! I’m trying to make a first-person character w/ camera shake while idling and while moving. I’ve created two separate camera shakes, and I’m swapping between the two of them in the first-person character with the Client Start Camera Shake and Client Stop Camera Shake nodes, but there’s a small (but noticeable) jolt when switching between the two shakes (i.e. when the player starts moving and stops moving) where I’d instead want a smooth transition.
Here’s a link to a video of my current setup in my first-person character + showing the issue.

I think maaaaybe this is happening because the “Stop Camera Shake” nodes are IMMEDIATELY stopping the shakes and starting up the new ones, which means there isn’t any Blend In or Blend Out between the two, it’s just one stopping and the other starting suddenly. Idk though. Should I instead be using ONE camera shake, and adjusting the variables of that camera shake inside of the first-person character? I’m not sure how I’d do that…
But hey, if there’s a smoother way to transition between the two camera shakes I have set up now, that’d be great too! Any and all advice on this would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

Hey @MGRay999!

If you start another camera shake do they stack? If you haven’t tried that, try it!

Also, in the camera shake classes, there is a blend-in/blend-out input taking a float. You can play with that and try to get them to match, have them blend! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the response! Although, I’m still having the problem :cry: It looks like the camera shakes might stack, but I’m still getting the small jolt when the player starts/stops moving. I’ve also tried to adjust the blend-in and blend-out floats, but that doesn’t seem to affect anything, I still get the jolt no matter if I set the blend-ins and outs to 0.1, 1, 10, etc, across both of the camera shakes. If anyone can help, the setup is still the same as in the video above, maybe I’m just setting up the use of first-person camera shakes + switching between them incorrectly on a fundamental level?

Oh! Have you tried setting the initial offsets to 0?

I wasn’t able to find much on this specific problem, but THIS (the first comment, not the original post of the thread) seems to be promising!

Tried setting the initial offsets to zero as that post suggested, and it didn’t seem to change much, if anything at all… still experiencing the snappy jolts. There are multiple offsets on each shake that can be set to either random or zero (Root Shake Pattern X, Y, and Z, Rotation Pitch, Yaw, and Roll, and FOV), so maybe there’s some workable combo of ‘random’ on some options and ‘zero’ on others that results in smooth transitions, but I haven’t found it. Really wish there were more resources on camera shake best practices! This feels like it should be a pretty common thing with obvious solutions :sob: Thanks so much for the suggestions thus far though!

Bumping one last time in hope of some help!