Training Stream - VR Development Concepts - Oct 6th, 2015

WHAT
and will cover basic Virtual Reality development concepts and principles that any VR developer must consider when creating a VR project. Whether your a UE4 developer that is looking to get into VR development for the first time or you are a VR developer looking to use UE4 for the first time, tomorrows stream will show you what you need to do to get your VR project up and running in UE4 as well as development practices that you should avoid when making VR projects…

WHEN
Tuesday, October 6th @ 2:00PM-3:00PM ET - Countdown]

WHERE
www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

WHO

• Sr Training Content Creator
  • Sr Training Content Creator

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember, while we try to give attention to all inquiries, it’s not always possible to answer everyone’s questions as they come up. This is especially true for off-topic requests, as it’s rather likely that we don’t have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks for understanding!

Edit: The YouTube archive is now available here](VR Development Concepts | Live Training | Unreal Engine - YouTube)

?v=7nQrleEVsTE

• Performance is a very important topic, especially for VR. I would love to hear some tips & tricks on how to improve performance and hit the required frame rates. Other than polycounts, what should we really pay attention to?

• Anything particular with regards to (dynamic) lighting and shadows? All Epic VR demos seem to have mostly baked lighting with only a few moving objects. I’m having performance issues with only ~20 moving rounded cubes in my otherwise empty scene and my GPU profiling tells me almost half of the frame is spent on lighting.

• Do you know if Vive development with UE4 is supported on OS X?

• Did you try the Aperture Science demo? :cool:

Thank you VERY much for the informative training vid! Did some of the PPV stuff in my intro level, and my scene went from a jittery mess to buttery smooth!

As VR seems to be consuming too much system resources, what will be a good system configuration for starting out VR Development?