Training Stream - Procedural Room Generation - Jan. 6th, 2015

When becomes available, will it be for free or at what cost? You can only follow along so far in and I really want to see everything he has down as it would make a lot of work so much easier.

Totally free. All of our learning resources and content will always be free.

any heads up when it will be uploaded to youtube , please

You can also watch it from the Twitch archive, here is a direct link for you :slight_smile:

/b/607904954

thanks but twitch only gives me the option flv as a download where youtube give me a mp4, i prefer to have mp4 as its easier for me when i have time

Hey ,

It’s not up on youtube yet, but when it is it will be added to our channel here:

If you subscribe to us, then you’ll get a notification when it goes up.

That’s highly appreciated. I’d honestly pay for high quality learning resources more likely than I would just random models but a commitment to put in all work just to help us grow is entirely appreciated. I’m not a programmer and what drew me to UE4 was the extensive nature of the visual Blueprint system & the diversity of which I’ve seen can be done without a need to touch C++.

@ , hi , I would like to know how you download videos Twitch ? How are the size(Mb) of the videos ?
Thank

http://twitchtools.com/video-download.php

Oh one , ok thank you , 1.2Gb pour video :eek:

Waiting on the decently large file to move across the wires :slight_smile: Will let you know as soon as it becomes available!

Heya ,
Awesome now I have the appropriate pronunciation =)

As for you using NavMesh, back when I was working out path finding, I didn’t want to have to deal with moving my Pawns manually, so I was like “I’ll use A* to make my guys work on the grid (as NavMesh was making them move directly), then just feed those points to the Navigation system and the Character Movement Component will take care of the rest!” It worked for a bit, but then a re-factor of NavMesh came down, so I just worked it all out by hand.

So, in the project that I showed on the stream, the A* implementation can be easily adjusted to support hexes. It would be relatively simple to either:

1. Have another array of the tile data that stores the cost of moving through a tile.
  2. Do a cast down to the tile to ask it what its cost it.

What I haven’t dipped into is getting that all to work with Behavior Trees and EQS so the other team actually does things. But, I have been documenting the EQS, and think I have a handle on how to bend that to my needs.

If you do use NavMesh, there’s a component called the **NavModifier **and you can create a custom Area Class Blueprint that will have the weighting in it (Defaults -> Default Cost).

Edit: fixed spelling… thanks =P lol

But spelling…

I can definitely create an A* system, and I will take a look at yours and others when I do. Probably build most of mine from scratch though just so I fully understand it.

I saw the EQS in one of the streams and it looks great. I am not sure if I will use it though. I tend to want to keep all relevant tile data stored in the arrays and use that data for all decision making on the map. EQS might make a few checks easier though, so if I can plug info between it and my arrays then I may give it a shot. Same for the NavModifier. I see a lot of documentation about how to use the NavMesh for open world games with characters running around which pretty much happens automatically. Could use some docs that explain more about how navmesh works on the inside as well as how we can harness it procedurally in blueprint.

Any news on when will we be able to get our hands on project?
I really want to take a close look at everything in there :stuck_out_tongue:

Should be available on the next update of the launcher. So, soon! I’ll bump post and unpin when it’s g2g

@****](https://forums.unrealengine.com/member.php?14973--)
Thank you very much! I’ll be waiting patiently :slight_smile:

I keep messing up on my procedural generated maps so it will be nice to take a look at a properly functioning one to know what I’m doing wrong.

Quick bump - Should be up now!

is an impressive script and I fear it will take as many months to understand it all as it did to make it. Sadly it also doesn’t appear particularly easy to mess around out of the gate as doing simple things like changing the meshes in GridData don’t keep track of materials, heck changing the materials on the meshes themselves don’t seem to keep track of materials. Often ending up in situations where it isn’t filling the boundaries of the map I’m trying to make it populate so I’m ending up with huge tile areas and a tiny map. So a lot for me to try to figure out why these things work the way they do.