Training Stream - New Sequencer Features - June 7th

WHAT

With the release of 4.12, the Sequencer Editor has been pushed out of experimental and has received quite a number of improvements since its first appearance.

In this session Wes Bunn walks through those changes, outlines the new Cinematic Actors, gives some examples of using Sequence Recorder and shows some new workflow changes. This includes the new Master Track creation tool, Matinee to Sequencer Conversion and several other keyboard and workflow shortcuts you won’t want to miss!

WHEN
Tuesday, June 7th @ 2:00PM-3:00PM ET - Countdown

WHERE

WHO

Wes Bunn - Sr Training Content Creator

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember, while we try to give attention to all inquiries, it’s not always possible to answer everyone’s questions as they come up. This is especially true for off-topic requests, as it’s rather likely that we don’t have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks for understanding!

Archive:

Yummy! can’t wait!

Interresting stuff. Looking forward to it :slight_smile:

Enjoying Sequencer so far, seems more intuitive.

Is there a simple way to import camera animation from Maya? I’ve done this using Matinee, but can’t seem to figure it out with Sequencer.

I could not get his Inventory System tutorial to work, tried several times, it just would not work. Don’t know why…

The new Sequencer is very exciting!

Few Questions:
1 - Will you please show how to start a New sequencer project from a new empty project / level? for a matter of pure cinematic (non-game) from scratch. just to get a better clear idea of how to start from nothing > to something. :slight_smile:

2 - Let’s say, an objects it falling to the ground (animated with Sequencer of course), Can you please show how to put the smoke start on the specific timeline / keyframe?

3 - Is it possible to import Alembic files to UE4 for more complicated simulations inside sequencer?

4 - I wonder if it’s possible to control or animating Physics inside sequencer, cloth, hair, anything will be very interesting to watch and learn.

5 - I know we have basic tools like a real video-editor such as Fades, and it’s awesome!
Is it possible to add Text as well? for on-screen starting credits and such?

Sorry about my bad English and thanks ahead!

I can’t wait for this live stream!

A question:

How do you export sound from your sequence? Do you have to export a movie and rip it from there? (can be awkward if you’re exporting to .pngs usually)

Hi,

We would definitely like to see how Sequencer works from scratch. Then we can go deep into it to check how we can import animated cameras from other softwares like Maya or Max and use it with sequencer. Then we can see how to render out .exr files properly with no missing frames or glitches.

Just waiting for the live stream.

**Though I know the alembic feature is there for future releases, but it would be great to hear from you how it can be useful within UE4.

Thanks to you guys for putting up an awesome engine for us to explore.

Cheers>> :slight_smile:

[Question]
Can Sequence Recording be used to record a VR Player Pawn with MotionController components and is it possible to export video with transparency?

So in short could I create a Mixed Reality Trailer with a Sequence Recording?

Mixed Reality Trailer Example:

agreed with all the stuff above… a formal comprehensive tutorial group of videos covering every tiny little thing would be great… it seem i look at all of the promo’s about special features and such, but there is really no information on how to do it…

ummmm… i saw an early sequencer tut about animation way back in 4.11 where he applied an ‘animation transition blend’ actor so the snap would be less obvious, but i don’t see it (yet) in ue4’s list anywhere (i’ve just tested it once, busy getting a map together) (all of my animations will be ‘in place’)…

i see a big future for cinematics for people with much more talent than I… but i enjoy my little stuff too… :slight_smile:

NS

Can I use sequencer to render 360 panoramic images directly?

This needs to happen, ie general alembic support.

Are there plans for sequencer to support Blueprints to call in game… so a player could buy a game, play it and record a 30 second gameplay clip, then view it later on with very simplistic controls. Basically Halo 3 Theatre mode.

Oh, so the Tangerine App Jungle Book 360 vision thing, but does YouTube even support that for normal youtubers?

Yes the day finally has come to use the recorder!

Interesting. Can’t wait for it!

-Question- Suggestion regarding BP interaction/Event tracks (or, actually 2):

1. Are there any plans to introduce a “Completed” exec pin for “Play” (after “Create Level Sequence Player” on the returned “Level Sequence Player”) so we can do work once its done? The current exec pin returns immediately, which makes sense in case you want to drive other things on the outside while the Sequence is running; but won’t help for doing work after the whole Sequence has played thu.

1. Will the mechanisms of binding Custom Events to the Event Track of a Sequence change/become more intuitive in the future, for example a “Bind Event” node (similar to delegate-based timers) or typed exec pins for every defined Event Track entry (similar to timelines or switch nodes)? Right now it seems to be name based similar to Timers with Function Names (vs. Timers with Delegates).

For some background; back with the last Game Jam, I played around with the 4.12 Previews and wanted to make a simple menu sequence:
Fade from Black -> Show the Menu -> Wait for user selection -> Fade to Black -> do the selected action (such as loading a level or quitting the game)

Creating the sequence with Fade Tracks was fairly easy and straight-forward, but getting the Sequence to tell me when its done apparently was not. I then tried to use an Event Track entry, which supposedly calls a Custom Event in the BP that has the same name ; which didn’t really work either - this wasn’t the Level BP, so looking back this obviously couldn’t work that way…even the Docs say so. This was a big limitation with Matinee and I certainly hope that Sequencer will overcome it.
In the end (running out of time for the Jam), I had to hardcode the duration using a Delay node, because I couldn’t figure out how to let the Sequence tell me when the fade was over.

In the long run, getting some more intuitive way for the Event Track listeners would be the better solution I’d say (and my personal favorite would probably be the exec pins); but getting a separate “Completed” exec pin that fires when the “Play” node has done its work is a good middle grounds too.

Edit: Thinking about it a little longer, this probably doesn’t fit the Training Stream Q&A and should be in the Feedback section. I’ll move it over there later :slight_smile:

If someone captured and could upload the stream someplace, that would be awesome! I’d love to see it, but was unable to watch it live…

Stream are available as VOD right away afterwards on Twitch, and will be on YouTube after editing.

This sequencer is serious stuff, so cool

Am i the only one who could not record the Vehicle’s tire rotation? I mean the Vehicle movement records perfectly fine, but the tires rotating are not recorded at all. I already followed every step in Wes Bunn’s youtube video.

I couldn’t in my life figure out what is preventing the tires rotation from being recorded.