Training Stream - Creating a 2D Side-Scroller, Part 2 - June 9th, 2015

Never mind! I fixed it! I just added the two animations together and removed the separate sitting animation.

I’ve run into another problem: When attempting to apply the DamageSystem event, the damage works, but, for some reason, it seems to override both my hit and death animations. Have you run into something like this before?

Update: I managed to get my animations back for the hit and death by putting in a call to the UpdateAnimation function after setting the state and the disable input, respectively.

I’ve got an issue, on the actor blueprint I’m not getting the lit option besides the front/perspective view option on 4.7.6. The sprite can be seen from perspective view but not from front view in viewport.

I was working on 4.7.6, and it also doesn’t seem like you can call update animation after spawn BPshot actor in that version. On 4.8.0, it seems to work.

I’m having the same issue! It’s a good thing I skimmed through the comments before I posted my question. I will definitely try what you did tomorrow. Thank you!

On a side note, awesome stream Alan. Can’t wait for part 3!

Problem Solved \m/

Great work Alan! Looking forward to the next one!

Some concrete feedback:

I found the steps you’ve shown with animations and game logic to be very helpful, and I’ve been able to extend the example easily with the missing states like run+shoot and jump+shoot. Great fun!

The next stream might cover how to create moving / shooting enemies? When that is wrapped I’d love to see some info on how to construct levels (layers, scrolling, loading). Hoping for some tilemap coverage as well :slight_smile:

When is the next part coming?

It would be great if this series would continue with many parts. All to often this kind of tutorial end just when stuff is getting really interesting.

There’s no set agenda to this series, so whatever you all want to see, we can do. We’re freewheeling it here.

I’ve seen the call for moving enemies a few times, so perhaps we’ll do that coming up.

When that will be remains to be seen. I’m OOTO for the next few weeks. I will let you know ASAP.

Thanks for the continued interest!

Some floor and aerial ennemies with AI would be great :smiley:

I’d like to see a good random level generator with random enemy type and random placement as well as random pickups.

Also how to translate into a top down setting.

I’ve been thinking about using several smaller tilemaps for procedural level generation. Could be interesting to hear an educated take on that .

When I first start the game, before inputing any movement, the character Sprite doesn’t load. It loads only when I start moving around, and then it keeps good, only on the first game load, the Sprite doesnt load. Could anyone help me with that?

By the way, awesome tutorial, really good.
Thank you very much.

I had this same issue and found the answer in the part 1 thread. My sprite was facing the wrong direction at the start, so I rotated him 90 degrees and it worked fine after that. His z-direction was originally -90, so I set it to 0 to fix.

Issue I’m having, when jumping onto the traps my sprite isn’t being thrown back. It works fine when running onto them, but for some reason when jumping he just falls down.

Is there coming more soon?

Hey guys I know i’m months late to the party but I’m having an issue calling the DamageSystem custom event from the BP_Dude blueprint into the BP_Trap blueprint. When I go to call it, it does not come up as an option. It’s kind of driving me crazy I have no idea what I did wrong.

Found your comment also on the YouTube video :smiley:
Anyway I’m stuck at the same step in the process. Using 4.9.1 and I can’t find that one. ( I did skip the sitting and blinking part of the tutorial because I chose to use a custom flipbook for the blinking)

Would appreciate any input on this issue. Thank you!

LE:
Looking again at the video it seems it is a custom event that is created when handling the damage sprites.
It is at minute 28:28 :smiley: around there, if you haven’t found it already. At that point he creates a Custom Event called Damage System. Good luck

Any word on part 3 yet?

Hello. I am using a death animation that has more than one frame. I need to stop it from looping after the character is dead.

Another problem I have occurs with “on landing”. If the character dies in the air, “on landing” still works when the corpse lands and resets the pose to idle.

edit: solved both problems.