Training Stream - Blueprint Drawing to Render Targets Overview - Sept 20 - Live from Epic HQ

Yes. You can use the more flexible ‘begin’ and ‘end draw’ nodes. I also created a BP macro to help specify the coordinates for the draw event since otherwise you will have to manually convert into the render target space. The node is called “Set Canvas Material Scale and Position”.

61fc5e4a875d63d1f28afa11ec562454d9aba90e.jpeg

Actually I just realized that even that macro is set up to only work with squares since the ‘scale’ input is a float. You could just open the macro (its a content macro) and change the “Scale” input to be a vector2d and it should work like you want.

Here’s another example of what’s possible with this new powerful feature!

Just finished converting this one from C++ to BP/materials yesterday :wink:

An FFT ocean simulation.

Here’s an (rather oversimplified) overview of the process and generated textures.

This will eventually make it to the community ocean project for anyone who might be wondering.

(Feel free to showcase this in the stream [MENTION=8] [/MENTION] :stuck_out_tongue: :p)

That’s awesome @TK-Master!

Is it just me or are the ContentExamples not available right now? I wanna look at the implementation examples :slight_smile:

Also for some reason i can’t seem to find that Project setting that he enabled in order for the Find Collision UV node to work. Anyone remember what it was called and where it was?

Edit: Nevermind, found it under Physics: Support UV from Hit Results hehe

[QUESTION] Is it possible to project a texture on a surface using Draw To Render? I don’t want the texture to be perpendicular to the surface, it has to be aligned with the player’s point of view. Which means that image would always look the same no matter what angle the player is looking, while the surface that is being projected on to is not adjusting its orientation to the player’s camera.

Awsome stuff, definetely gonna read it. Looking forward to see you on the stream again.

The draw material to RT feature wouldn’t really come into play there. You can just use a decal attached to the players camera or you could use a custom projection pixel shader using a bounding box.

I tried the decal, but it didn’t work as I needed more control. I am working on a custom shader but it’s getting too complex that I’m pretty sure that there is a simpler way to do it. How would you approach the custom projection pixel shader? Can you give some quick pointer of the functionalities you would put together?

I would just use a bounding box and then the “Worldposition behind translucency” node. then you would subtract ObjcetPosition from that… then you would do “transform to Z vector” where the (worldposbehindtranslucency-objectpos) is the value to transform and the actor’s forward vector will be the Z.

If you use the matrix3x3transform nodes it will give you the ability to control the yaw as well.

Ok thank you! I will research that. Really appreciated. Have a nice day :slight_smile:

Tried to “paint” with a projectile from the 1st person example. But for some reason my texture does not change at all.

Edit: Removed video, since it was a mess :slight_smile:

I do realize im missing the double buffering setup, but since i only call the update onHit, it should still paint something right?

I would make a simpler test case that just calls Draw where the material is set explicitly. The only page in your video that showed the draw event had a texture reference that was set to None which I assume was set elsewhere, but it makes it a bit too complex for a debugging case.

I’ll see if i can simplify, but actually after reading over some notes, it says that drawing on a render target that is being sampled as a texture by the material i use, won’t be possible. So maybe that’s just what im hitting here… Anyway i’ll see if i can do something completely simple

Think i figured it out… it seemed to be the issue with the material already being used.

Yes, if you are wanting to write to and read from a RT, you need to have two of them and you need to ping pong them so that you only write to the one that isn’t currently being read.

Got it. Thanks for the help

i missed the most interesting stream ever :confused: plz upload it As soon as possible thnx !!

@Amiot We can already find here : Twitch

I got inspirred by the stream and built this little example.