"Track Based" Camera System

Hi everyone!

I am working on a top-down game, and for the life of me, cannot wrap my head around setting up this concept.

I want to create a “track-based” camera system. Essentially what this would do is disable any movement from the player when it comes to controlling the camera. The camera would “auto-adjust” based on where the player is. This would be useful if there is something I want the player to see if they position their player in a particular spot, or if there is some kind of large architecture blocking the camera, the camera could maneuver away so the player is not being blocked.

For a perfect example, examine the game Gauntlet: Legends for the N64.
Video example: Gauntlet Legends Playthrough (part 23) - The Battle Trenches - YouTube

In the beginning, when the player moves around the room, the camera shifts to focus on a particular area of the room. In the actual playthrough of the level, the player’s camera is adjusted constantly so they are given a clear view of what’s going on.

I know this is wordy so I cut it here but my question is: is this doable in UE4? If so, how would I go about making this using the least amount of memory resources? The best approach I’ve tried to write down is doing a series of trigger boxes, but there has to be a better way.

Thank you for taking the time, and I appreciate any feedback!

It does look quite evolved.

Instead of trigger boxes, what about having know good spots for the camera, and it will choose the best one depending on a group of factors, such as angle and distance to the player?

Check this. It’ll give you a few examples and possibilities. (The playlist, not the individual video)

That said. Trigger boxes don’t have to be a drag. They can simply be used to rest what the camera points to…

This is interesting. Thank you so much for the feedback, I would never have found this on youtube.