Touch Response in PIE

Hi,

When using a Touch Screen in Windows (a secondary one set up next to my main screen), I get this strange behavior:

1. Play in PIE mode (on the Touch screen): Unreal interprets the very first touch and 3 frames of finger movement as touch, then switches to interpreting Touch events as Mouse events
  2. Play in Viewport (on the Touch screen): Unreal interprets everything as mouse input
  3. Play as Standalone Game responds to Touch just fine

What is going on here? Is there any way to fix this? It’s hard to debug without proper Touch in PIE…

(p.s. I’m not attaching any setup details since this seems to happen regardless of setup, and the general setup is working properly, shown by a properly functioning “Standalone Game”… but I’m of course happy to specify more if needed).

Okay, so here’s a partial answer after some more investigation:

• Touch does work in PIE when all displays except the touch display are disconnected (but you have to restart UE4 to get it to work). So a single screen setup works.

• If, like me, you really want to work on one display and test touch on the other:

Close UE4
     Disconnect all displays (in Windows Display settings) except the Touch display
     Start UE4 and load your project
     Reconnect your main display

This seems to work for now - apart from the occasional hitch when the touch display still receives touch input as mouse input, mostly when your finger is crossing the edge of the window.

Not sure if this is a Windows 10 issue or an Unreal issue though, but at least this allows you to debug.

Hi
I have exactly the same issue.
Did you found to get this working in PIE except disconnecting the displays?

The workaround also works for me too but is in my case not really a solution since my project runs in PIE not only for development purpose. Thanks for any advice.

Meanwhile, I’ve found the reason why touch inputs are not working and a workaround:

Disable the ModelingToolsEditorMode Plugin and the touch inputs are working in PIE.

I have no clue why the Modeling Mode this is related to touch events in PIE.

1 Like

Works!