Toon shading model

Pure gold, thanks. Sharpened the directional light and bam.
windwaker-sharp.png

The github link isnā€™t working for me, but im very interested in trying it out.

Is still available? Working on a project that could really use , gotta keep tight lips for now but could explain in PM.

The github link still works. If youā€™re getting a 404 page itā€™s because thatā€™s what Github shows when you donā€™t have access to the private repository youā€™re trying to view. (EpicGames/UnrealEngine). That results from either a) not being logged in, or b) not associating your github account with your unreal account yet.

Also the link, links to a PR, which you can look at if you want to modify your code to match, but I just went toā€™s repo and cloned it @ https://github.com/ArneBezuijen/UnrealEngine/tree/master (youā€™ll still hit 404 on for all the same reasons as Unreal, but resolve it in the same manner).

Ok, thanks :smiley:

-Removed
I found the problem. I was using the release branch instead of the master branch.
Instead of doing it all again manually Iā€™ll just downloadā€™s Repo like Vapes did:P

Nice work mate! looking good.

I donā€™t know whatā€™s wrong, but I have problems achieving the same hard shadows on the model as Vapos. The Toon Roughness seems to controll the steps and Toon Steps seems to do nothing. I have the newest version of the forked repo with the ā€œMinor fixesā€ commit. Iā€™ve also set the Shadow Filter Sharpen to 5.0.

Hereā€™s some screenshots with different parameters:

Hereā€™s my material setup:

Is the problem caused by my material or is it something else causing ?

It was caused by me, Iā€™m sorry about that. If you get the latest version from github itā€™s fixed.

Alright, no problem;)

I was about to ask about the same issue. Thanks for getting a fix out so quick!

It works great now. Thank you so much!! is awesome :smiley:

All is working like a dream with the shader model itself now, however Iā€™m now getting a ā€œswarm failed to kick offā€ error whenever I try rebuilding the lighting. So far none of the typical fixes (antivirus check, deleting appdata swarm cache etc) have worked.

With the previous version of the shader model, I was having a similar issue that simply read ā€œError, failed to connect to swarmā€ I managed to get around it by running a third person template on a different version of the engine in the background, and then rebuilding the lighting on my actual project. doesnā€™t seem to work now though.

Iā€™m going to keep trying to figure out where Iā€™ve gone wrong, any suggestions?

Iā€™ll have to play with it tonight with the fixes. I noticed the same issues but was able to get what I needed, maybe itā€™ll be even better now :slight_smile:

Hey guys, when I downloadā€™s version from Github, do I need to run setup.bat to get the dependencies, or can I just build it as is? Iā€™m not sure if it will already have the dependencies or not.

Yes, run Setup and GenerateProjectFiles before you build it in visual studio like you would with the regular source from Epic on github.

Thanks. I figured as much, but I figured I would ask in case I could get by without waiting for downloads.

Okay, so the shader model itself is working fine and I can play the level in-editor just fine. however It /absolutely/ refuses to allow me to either build the lighting or to launch the level outside of the editor, rendering the whole thing entirely useless for the moment.

Error messages:
On Build

• Lighting build failed, Swarm failed to kick off

On Launch

LogPlayLevel: Running AutomationToolā€¦
LogPlayLevel: Access is denied.
LogPlayLevel: copying UAT log filesā€¦
LogPlayLevel: RunUAT.bat ERROR: AutomationTool was unable to run successfully.
LogPlayLevel: Completed Launch On Stage: Build Task, Time: 3.756214
LogPlayLevel: BUILD FAILED
PackagingResults:Error: Error Launch failed! Unknown Error

So far Iā€™ve tried:

• Starting new project files/starting new levels
  • recompiling the source
  • recompiling the source in ā€˜developmentā€™ mode instead of ā€˜development editorā€™ ( goes smoothly and builds without error until I attempt to Start new instance, at point it gives me a message that tells me the plugin ā€˜OculusAudioā€™ could not be found. Iā€™ve found no fix for , apparently it was an issue that was patched in an earlier version of the engine.)
  • redownloading the source and recompiling
  • moving the source from (E: drive to (C:

These issues ONLY appear with the Shader Model version of the engine, the regular source compiles and functions perfectly normally, the lighting rebuilds fine, the level is playable outside of the editor. 100% perfect, no issues.

At point I can only assume its an error Iā€™m making somewhere, but so far Iā€™ve been totally unable to figure out where and any attempts Iā€™ve made to get around the errors have just been met with new, even less well-documented errors. :frowning:

If anyone has suggestions, Iā€™d love to know. Thanks ahead of time!

UPDATE EDIT - Having had no luck getting the source to run properly on my workstation PC, I attempted to get it to work on a different machine. It works fine there so it must be something on my end causing the problem. Iā€™ll continue trying to narrow it down and update with a solution if I find one in the event anyone else has the same issue.

I need to Get back home and pick up plug-inā€¦ It look really good. :<

Keep in mind that is based of the master branch, so donā€™t do production work on it. There might be various issues such as the one Kealani had simply due to the work in progress on Epicā€™s side.